The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

CONTAINER TOMATO'S

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Container tomato plants| Next thread: Container Tomatoes »
Back to Thread index
by Herbyann on March 17, 2006 03:26 AM
[Smile] HI ALL!! NEW TO THE FORUM! I grow in containers mostly Roses n' herb's. I haven't had a lot of luck with tomatoes. I would appreciate all the help I can get. If there is already info on this please direct me. I have 5gal black plastic pots from the nursery. I want to grow a good sandwich tomato and possibly the new 'grape' tomato. I have etried Early Girl but they jus haven't done well. Small and skin is tough. I do love the taste of fresh maters, so any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Oh yes I live on the Calif coast and we have cooler nights than most places.

[Smile] Herby Hugs,
Anne [muggs]
by mikestuff on March 17, 2006 08:27 AM
I have grown container tomatoes a couple of times with varying amounts of success. The best crop I ever had was when I bought those seeds at Walmart that come in the egg shaped containers. They are supposedly for containers specifically. I got a great crop and the tomatoes were small, but good tasting.
by Deborah L. on March 17, 2006 01:33 PM
I too am a container gardener. I grow tomatoes every year, and never get much. But it's still fun.
This year I'm trying a Celebrity and the dwarf beefsteaks called Bushsteaks.
I didn't like Early Girls either !

-
 -
by Deborah L. on March 17, 2006 01:35 PM
P.S. I'm also in coastal southern California - San Diego County, about 3 miles from the beach.

-
 -
by njoynit on March 17, 2006 09:48 PM
I grew early girl an liked it.maybe your weather don't get hot enough. I didn't like celberity.it slowed way down when got hot,but did well when was cooler.maybe celiberty would do well in your weather out there.
or search out john.He's our tomato expert here.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by johnCT on March 17, 2006 10:32 PM
Oh boy njoynit....definitely NO expert, lol. Julianna has far more experience than I.

Herbyann, 5 gallon containers will most likely limit you to determinates or dwarfs. Although I have read of people growing indeterminates in that size container with limited success. There are many commercially available varieties I would look into if I were you. The container varieties I am growing this year are Kimberly, Taxi, New Big Dwarf, Citron Compact, Silvery Fir Tree, Lime Green Salad, Lucky Leprechaun and Victorian Dwarf. Others that work well in containers are Golden Dwarf Champion, Sophie's Choice(I'm trying to obtain this one), Marglobe. All of these are open pollinated varieties which you could save true seed from if you so choose and most are available from places like Victory, TGS, Sandhill, Marianne's, etc.

As far as the "new" grape, I'm wondering if you mean the type they're selling at the supermarkets. In reality who know's with the industrial breeding these days what those varieties are and if they're available. There are a few varieties of "grape" type tomatoes sold, but in general they are lumped in to the cherry type category. If you want really sweet, I am trying Sungold(F1) this year as I've heard it is one of the best cherries available. Not exactly a container type plant though. In general cherry types aren't though.

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on March 18, 2006 06:57 AM
Dang, John! I was thinking of growing 1 or more of each of my varieties in 5 gallon buckets. I thought 5 gallons would be accurate. Hmmm...I'm going to do it anyway, I've got lots of starts, lol. [grin] I would have thought cherry tomatoes would be ideal for containers, too. I'll experiment...I know there is a variety called Patio that's supposed to be ideal for containers outdoors...I tried to grow one in the small version of the half barrel at a clients home, as she loves fresh tomatoes, but I didn't get the soil quite right, and it only produced a few small tomatoes, so I can't claim any valid experience with that variety....

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by johnCT on March 19, 2006 10:16 AM
Dave, I would do it and see what you come up with. Its just not ideal. Thats all.

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on March 20, 2006 01:37 AM
John...considering how big my plants got last year, I can see how they'd quickly outgrow the container...but I'm just crazy enough, and lazy enough, to try it! [nutz]

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by weezie13 on March 20, 2006 02:27 AM
I grew some for my mom in 5 gallon buckets,
hey I didn't get 6ft tall plants, but she got enough for herself to eat..
She likes to go out her back door and pick a tomato, and not all the way back to my garden,
so I just did up a couple of pots....
One was a cherry variety and did a couple of the
Rutger kind..
Hey, she thought that was great, and better than a store bought kind...

They do need to have good drainage, but because they are in a small dirt area, they did need to be watered alot more than the one's in my regular garden, two or three times sometimes during those lonnnnnnng Hottttttttttttt days here, **plus the buckets were on top of a cement patio which produced alot of heat on it's own.....

I think if I do it again, and get new 5 gallon buckets, I might change the placement of my drainage holes..
I had mine directly at the bottom of the bucket...
I may, put them about 2" up from the bottom on the sides of the bucket, to give it a small water reservoir at the bottom instead of draining out sooooo fast.... worth experimenting on...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by johnCT on March 20, 2006 10:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by peppereater:
but I'm just crazy enough, and lazy enough, to try it! [nutz]
I could tell we had some things in common! [muggs]

quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:

Hey, she thought that was great, and better than a store bought kind...

Yes they are! Even the blandest of the hybrids I grew last year were better then those!

[Frown]

John - Zone 6
by weezie13 on March 20, 2006 10:11 PM
Check out this spiffy lookin' tomato container..
rolling 3 compartment tomato container.....

I am hopin' my hubby will make one *or two* for my
mom's patio!!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by johnCT on March 20, 2006 11:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
Check out this spiffy lookin' tomato container..
rolling 3 compartment tomato container.....

Very nice! Except for the PT lumber though. It would look great on a patio made of cedar I bet!

John - Zone 6
by njoynit on March 24, 2006 10:22 PM
you could always paint it to make it look better.

I have 2 in containers(well got a hanging tomato planter too so is actually 3)

I'm likely going to sink my container.I've only got them in a container cause my garden bed not ready& I'm actually eye-balling my compost pile& thinking of moveing it [thinker] and then tilling where it moved from [shocked]

I would think determinate types would be better in containers.I'm not getting a good picture of my early girl in a container...she topped out at 10 ft plus last yr& my 6 ft stakes we're actually TOO SHORT [shocked] we're talkin TX-sized-plants.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Rosepetal on March 25, 2006 07:04 AM
You've given me some great ideas. Where I come from tomatoes are hard to grow outside, windy, not hot enough, short season.....

Anyway, I've been thinking of doing mine in the greenhouse this year. I'll get my son to build some containers for me...can't wait [Smile]

-
 -
For this "New Year" help me to be kinder and more loving to all around me, I pray.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Container tomato plants| Next thread: Container Tomatoes »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: