The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Can Chives die?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Shani on August 22, 2005 03:57 AM
I have a small pot of garlic chives, which I could have sworn I had killed for sure there was no green left a few times, but just add water and up they come again. I was wondering if it actually was possible to kill this herb

Shani
 -
May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
by Winter Rosebudd on August 27, 2005 01:21 AM
You know, I was wondering that myself. I got tons of chives in my herb bed and they do seem to keep coming back. Good thing because I love em!

-
by PAR_Gardener on August 27, 2005 02:07 AM
If its a plant, you can kill it. However, chives (and garlic chives especailly) are more difficult to kill. You probably won't be able to kill them with neglect. Ok, if it's in a pot and you don't water it for more than a year, that will probably kill it.

If you want to get rid of it, you have to dig up the bulb. I don't know how it manages, but garlic chive works it way down 4-5 inches below the soil. If you don't get the roots, it will grow back, and whatever you do, don't let it go to seed.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by Jimmy_Hitler on August 28, 2005 04:03 PM
just pour bleach on the chives daily. kills them pretty quickly.
by Jiffymouse on August 31, 2005 02:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy_Hitler:
just pour bleach on the chives daily. kills them pretty quickly.
my concern, and that of anyone else who gardens, is what the bleach does to the ground where the chives are growing. i don't think that is a good idea.
by Bill on August 31, 2005 02:51 AM
Vinegar will do the same job as the bleach but it is far more environmentally friendly.

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: