The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dafodils

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: DAFFYS DEW DER THING!!!!!| Next thread: Dafs along front yard »
Back to Thread index
by Mike and Carol on December 01, 2004 01:09 AM
It's almost December, it's snowing here in Illinois (zone 5), it's been in the 20's and 30's at night, and my daffodils are coming up! Will they freeze off this winter and die?

Thank you, Mike
by Bill on December 01, 2004 01:57 AM
by weezie13 on December 01, 2004 05:03 AM
Hi Mike,
The only time I would say, IMHO, that might be impairative for them is in the spring time,
when the green is up and there's where the flower would be coming off the top of the stem *it's swelling up and the flower bud is still covered by the green stem stuff* and there's a freezing rain or something of the likes....
You'll only basically might loose the flower part of it, but the bulb is still protected.
It might not flower that spring, but will again for the coming next year.

Those things are pretty gosh darn hardy!!!!!!!

And you'll find alot of things will and have done that... There's already been a few questions about it here, and sometimes mother nature has a funny way of fooling plants *(bulbs)..
If a cold multitudes of days that go by that are cold and damp and dreary in the fall, lot's of rain... then all of a sudden nice spring like weather, it triggers bulbs, like they think, hey, just went thru that cold and wet winter, time to wake up, and they get fooled, it was just a long cold damp fall time....
And they'll be fine.... Sometimes like I said, a flower may be jepordized, but all in all, the bulb will be fine!!! [thumb] [flower]

Hope this info helps!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by suzydaze on December 01, 2004 03:01 PM
I'm glad to heard that too because almost all my bulbs were coming up from the nice warm tems we had a couple weeks ago
do i need to add mulch to cover after the frost gets the tops again, or show I clip the tops back now?

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: DAFFYS DEW DER THING!!!!!| Next thread: Dafs along front yard »
Back to Thread index