The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Dogwood Winter

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: dogwood trees| Next thread: DOH! »
Back to Thread index
by alankhart on April 23, 2005 08:02 PM
After having temps in the 70's and even the low 80's, we are expecting lows in the 30's tonight and tomorrow night, with possible frost. We haven't had a frost in over 4 weeks...our average last frost date is the 15th, but we've had such good weather for so long I went ahead and planted a ton of annulas (vinca, impatiens, geraniums, petunias, angelonia, african daisy, etc.) Now I think I'm going to be screwed. I brought in most of my pots (some were too large and/or too heavy), and I will try to cover up as much as I can and hope that it doesn't get quite as cold as expected. I really don't want to have to replant all those plants! And I don't want to have to spend the extra money doing so. Looks like I nead a small miracle.

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on April 23, 2005 08:10 PM
quote:
Looks like I nead a small miracle.

Yeah, me too! [Roll Eyes]
I'm about 110 miles north of you (London, Ky.).
Me and Vanessa are both in panic mode! [scaredy]

I'm going out right now and dig a bunch of stuff up (my brugs) to bring inside. We are having a very COLD steady rain here right now. Nice weather to be outside digging plants up, huh?

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by tkhooper on April 23, 2005 08:27 PM
Is this cold snap going to hit VA too?

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on April 24, 2005 01:09 AM
Go to The Weather Channel , type your zip code into the place at the top, and you'll find out!!!

Here's my forecast...

quote:
A few showers this evening then turning blustery with a few snow showers overnight. Cold. Low 31F. Winds WNW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of precip 30%.
[tears]

-
 -
 -
by duckie on April 24, 2005 01:51 AM
sorry Cindy.sorry for me too.

My strawberry bed is 40 feet long.No way can I get it all covered.

I think I'll just go eat worms. [tears] [tears] [tears]

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 24, 2005 04:43 AM
**Duckie,
quote:
My strawberry bed is 40 feet long.No way can I get it all covered.

Strawberry plants are very frost hardy, Mine over winter very nicely... never cover them
or anything...
I am not an expert, but even if it stays cold for a few more weeks, they'd be fine... the leaves would just die off and new one's would replace them...

***Alan,
You are in the same boat as alot of our gardeners here... I have to admit, I know better, we've had snow storms here on Mother's Day, that's May!!!!
So, I don't do much, uncover just a bit to get a wee~bit of sunshine and break thru the chopped leaves...
It is sooooooooo hard to resist temptation...
I do have a few seeds started, just planted,
so a day or two in some cold, I'm hopin' won't hurt them too bad and planted some cool weather stuff, like peas and lettuce's......

But I hope all of you get your plants thru the night....
I know how stressfull having plants out in the cold can be, it's like you've sentenced your own children to stand out in the cold...

**Cindy,
I did that weather thing, typed in my zip, and
it said for tomorrow's forcast~
quote:

Rain / Snow / Wind High
42°F
Low
28°F
Simply lovely!!! [shocked] [Razz] [Frown] [Mad] [Roll Eyes] [scaredy] [perplexed]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by duckie on April 24, 2005 05:04 AM
Thanks Weezie,but my strawberries are in full bloom.
Many of them already have berries.

Well heck ,there is always next year.And your right,they are not whimpy plants.

I'm still hoping they'll make it.

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on April 24, 2005 05:18 AM
quote:
I know how stressfull having plants out in the cold can be, it's like you've sentenced your own children to stand out in the cold...

That's how I feel, Weezie... [tears]
Even though I'm moving, and these plants aren't mine anymore, I still hate to see them freeze. [scaredy]
It's killed me.

Cindy

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: dogwood trees| Next thread: DOH! »
Back to Thread index