The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Asian ladybugs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Arum| Next thread: Asian Lily email ? »
Back to Thread index
by loz on October 12, 2004 11:06 PM
Help!!! I'm infested.....just noticed them out today, and they are everywhere!!!!!!!!!! Now, I know they aren't really a pest, they don't hurt anything, but they bug the heck out of me.....Last year I killed over a hundred of them inside the house, vaccuumed them up.....but I don't want to go through that all again......they drive me batty [nutz] Anyone else have them bad yet??????????? I'm serious too when I say they are everywhere, my back windows and door are getting covered.....there has to be an easier way to deal with them. I'm going to have mark seal up the dining room windows good later, that seems to be the room they get in through........one of them bit me last year, some places say they don't bite--but they're wrong!!! Thankfully they don't seem to get upstairs where we sleep.....
by sidheblooms on October 13, 2004 05:44 AM
is that a bug which is similar to the all famous stink bug?

do they have an oval body which is red and black?

do they suck the heat out of any surface like doors, siding, decks?

if so, we have them too..they are everywhere!! when we pulled off our siding this spring..you should have seen them all!! they were sucking the heat all winter.

i too know they dont harm the wood, or anything else for that matter, but they sure hang out in big numbers!!

my husband is a bug killer, and i am trying to ease this bad habit of his. i let every bug live, sometimes i have to relocte though.....

so, i have no ideas for prevention, or dealing with it...just offering some condolences! [Confused]

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi
by The Plant Doc on October 15, 2004 11:00 PM
The asian lady bugs are a big problem out here in WI as well. About the only way to deal with them is to hire out to a professional to spray your house. This will not keep them from coming in but the ones that do will die within a day or so.

Chalk up another one for folks trying to be nice to nature, and not using chemicals. They were actually brought here to the USA on purpose by farmers who were using them to go after insects on their crops. Kinda of a biological warfare against bugs. [Roll Eyes] I guess what ever brainiack who thought this one up should have done just a little more research, before bringing them in.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Buglady on October 18, 2004 07:59 PM
Well ... it could be worse ... we could have all the pest insects around that they are feeding on. These guys have voracious appetites and help you out a lot that you are not aware of. Here is more information on them and photos to help ID them. Harmonia axyridis

and here is a link on how to build a trap for them Light trap to collect beetles

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Arum| Next thread: Asian Lily email ? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: