The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Planting in Ontario (green house)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by poetprose on June 19, 2005 07:36 PM
Hello, I'm new to the forum , and I just wanted to share some tips, my hubby is actually the green thumb in our family, He plants the plants and I cook the yield, great team

Because our growing season is not that long we use a green house to start everything, then later transplant it to the garden , with exception of some of our herbs , they stay in the pots..

As of now I have 7 Basil plants apx 8 in high, I do go out and clip the tops of the basil so that the basil grows out with big leaves instead of up.. with small leaves..

the broccili that hubby started in green house is now 18 in high and doing very well in the garden,
The tomatoe plants were started from seed in the green house and our now in the garden and about 2 feet high..

So for Canadian gardener's please don't lose heart, you really can have a nice of crop of anyting if you start your seeds early , and Green houses are fantastic!!!
by ChristinaC on June 19, 2005 09:25 PM
Hi Poetprose [wayey]
Just wanted to say "hi" and "welcome". I'm also from Ontario and I started everything indoors as well. My tomatoes sound just like yours.....no tomatoes yet but lotsa' flowers. I've been eating my basil for a month now.....that and my cilantro, dill, mint and parsely. So much fun isn't it?! Take care! [muggs]
Christina

-
 -
by ceceharpo on October 25, 2005 09:11 AM
Hi, from S. Ontario, Canada here. I just wanted to let everyone know, for those of you who don't already, that if you have no greenhouse, or means of building one, a simple area of floro lighting, in a basement area, or even as small an area as a closet turned into shelving, can provide anyone with enough area to begin germing and continue with seedlings growing healthily into the winter months, ready for the garden come spring in Ontario. I have done this for many years, following my ancestors, and truly, it works out well for us without the space or money for a greenhouse. Just a tip for those who love to grow in the winter also.
Cece.

cece
by ceceharpo on October 25, 2005 09:15 AM
I forgot to say, I buy my floro lighting cheaply from re-use-it shops, and industrial supply warehouses. Truly cheap being 3 to 10 canadian dollars at most for a decent light set up. Others may want to check into their area bargain shops for such deals if you are interested in growing under floros all winter long.
Cece

cece
by weezie13 on October 29, 2005 08:10 PM
Poetprose,
Just outta curiousity......
Do you heat your green house?
And if so, with what or how?

I have one.. and am looking for
something, and very cheaply heat
the greenhouse in say around March
for my growing zone 5.....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by funnyfarmresident on December 03, 2005 09:21 PM
Hi again Weesie

at a greenhouse I worked at before, the owner had a furnace that used used oil,, which he obtained from auto garages,, they were happy to give away. I dont know if this kind of furnace is widely available, but it was inexpensive
by weezie13 on December 04, 2005 01:36 PM
I have seen those heaters..
but I think it's for bigger green house's..

I only have a little one...
 -

I have been eyeballin' a Parasene Coldframe Heaters
It's little, I was thinkin' of getting 3, and
can turn on all 3 or one at a time...

We'll see, I'm really short on the ole $$'s right
now, still waitin' on the ole lottery....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on December 09, 2005 07:18 PM
so how much is 22 pounds english or is that euro-dollars they were advertising. Boy do I get lost with currency exchanges. And exactly what kind of fuel does it use? And What's the output and can the heat be regulated?

The info was probably on the site but it's early and my brain isn't fully functional. So since it wasn't right in front of my face I missed it.

-
 -
by weezie13 on December 09, 2005 08:41 PM
The little one I was looking at,
runs 2 weeks or 14 days on *I think, 1 Gallon
of Kerosene*
There's a bigger one, meant for a larger greenhouse, runs 3 days on *I think, 1 Gallon of Kerosene*

The small one is meant for a "Frost~Free conditions, in a coldframe"

But I was thinking I could use 3 of them...
*same cost for one big one..*
but then I can turn on just one or all 3...
Get a longer time of heat *I basically only need it at night in the early part of when I need it..
but I also use those 5 little greenhouse's inside the big greenhouse.. so, I get a wee~bit of extra or extended heat keeping it inside the little ones'...so, that's also why I didn't want the big one, as I didn't want to hurt the plastic on those greenhouse's...

I am still trying to find out if those types are sold over here.. from what I see it's a UK type product..
So, I dunno... need some more research into it...

They would be just the perfectest thing I NEED...
to get a jump start on my seeds in April here in the snowy North... [scaredy] [grin] [clappy]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: