The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hey - this fuzz bites!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by buggeeme on August 28, 2004 05:56 AM
I hope someone out there can help me!

I think it all started at the office. I kept feeling something in my hair while I was sitting at my desk. I finally noticed some teeny white bugs on the three plants that I had. I did a little research online, and got to spraying them, thinking they were whiteflies or mealybugs or something.

I sprayed and sprayed and sprayed, and finally just threw away all the plants - and the wooden crates they were sitting on.

I ended up tracking the bugs into my car and into my house. It's been weeks now, and I finally got them out of my car and house, but there is still something going on at work. They fly and land on me while I'm sitting at my desk. I don't know where they're coming from because I've cleaned and vacuumed and sprayed to no end.

Description: The smallest ones I can see look just like a piece of lint or fuzz. The average person would not notice the difference - they look like fuzz particles floating in the air, (except that they actually do fly, not float).
The bigger ones can be seen more easily. They look like a fuzzy bug with the long cottony tail.

They like to stick to the seams of clothing. You can tell that they are alive, though, because when you pull one away from the clothing it's latched onto, it struggles and pulls itself back to the fabric with cotton-y like feelers. You have to look closely, but you can definitely see this happening. You can also feel them bite when they get on your skin. They leave no marks, but my arm hairs stand up on end and the there is a slight rash on the skin. The bigger ones bite harder, but you can definitely feel the small ones, as well - even if you can't see them.

They also seem to like it in my hair. which is why I got checked out for lice. The doctor assured me that it wasn't lice, but he couldn't tell me what it was.

Now you're all probably thinking that I'm imagining this, but this is not the case. I can definitely feel them when they get on me - like when I touch my dirty laundry - and see them when they fly and land on the bathroom mirror.

Does anybody have a clue? I need help, as I've tried EVERYTHING!!
Thanks for reading....
by Meg on August 28, 2004 06:23 AM
Gosh, I have no idea. I hope you can figure it out. The dr. said no lice, so that's a start.. hopefully someone here will have an idea.

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by catlover on August 28, 2004 05:49 PM
I don't have a clue [dunno] Can you bug bomb your office and the house?(read all labels before setting off....some you have to turn off the gas to your water heater, unplug fire alarms, remove pets, cover things etc....there are also little cups of foggers you can use) You may have to do it a couple times IF it is anything like fleas they reproduce in a couple of weeks but you have to get them before they start hatching again.
I'm sorry I have no idea....maybe the buglady or someone else will know....hopefully buglady will pass by here shortly and have some idea. If you find out what they are PLEASE let us all know.
Catlover [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on August 28, 2004 06:47 PM
Could it possibly be a Wooly Alder Aphid ?

4 photos

info

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by weezie13 on October 19, 2004 09:07 PM
I was just reading this,
and wondered about it???
Oh, my gosh, that doesn't sound like a
fun bug to have in your office, plants or hair! [shocked]

Maybe Buglady might have an idea????

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Buglady on October 19, 2004 11:46 PM
Well, the best I can say it collect some on scotch tape and mail them to me so I can ID. Then I can give you a control recommendation.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by Buglady on October 19, 2004 11:48 PM
Just email me and I will email you back my mailing address.

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: