The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

mosaic virus???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Morning Visitor| Next thread: Moses-in-the-Cradle a.k.a Rhoeo »
Back to Thread index
by lilitu on August 19, 2004 10:16 PM
Anyone know a sure-fire way to tell if your indoor plant has mosaic virus? I have an orchid and it has signs-yellowing blotchy leaves, little black spots underneath that are indented...some are yellowing at the edges of the spots...is it spots or is it more random blotchy amoeba-like shapes? I've heard some orchids just naturally ahve black spots on the leaves, but I think those are more pin-prick size than freckle size or larger.
If it IS mosaic virus, should i just toss the plant [tears] or is there something I can use to get rid of the virus?
Thanks!!
lilitu
by papito on August 20, 2004 05:14 PM
Here's the info on Virus.

Many virus diseases infect Orchids but diagnosis can be difficult; virus symptoms often resembles less serious problems.

Symptoms:
Black, red or yellow spots or steaks appear on leaves. Flowers may have white or brown streaks or mosaic patterns.

Treatment:
Have plant tested to confirm diagnosis. Plant viruses are incurable; destroy infected plants. Plants may carry visruses without showing symptoms, so always sterilize tools before use on each plant.

Check also "leaf spot" fungus such as Cercospora or Colletotrichum.

Symptoms:
Leaves have sunken, purplish brown or black spots. Spots start as yellow areas on leaf undersides, becoming more visible on both sides of leaf as they darken.

Treatment:
Take plant outdoors and spray with a fungicide containing benomyl. Remove badly damaged leaves. Leaves with a few spots may be left on plant. It is a rare orchid that doesn't have a spot or two.

From "All About Growing Orchids" by Ortho

For more info on Orchids, please visit the
American Orchid Society's website at

http://orchidweb.org/

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by lilitu on September 22, 2004 07:58 PM
Thanks for the info! When is it "safe" to bring the orchid back in after spraying?

lilitu

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Morning Visitor| Next thread: Moses-in-the-Cradle a.k.a Rhoeo »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: