The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rosemary A Plenty!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Rosemary - the herb| Next thread: Rosemary question »
Back to Thread index
by firebetty on April 16, 2005 03:16 AM
Hi all. I have a pretty large rosemary shrub, that is fantastic. My only problem is figuring out how to trim it without wasting ALL that rosemary. Will it grow from a cutting? ThenI could give some to my neighbor...

We never water this plant, it just grows like mad. It clearly has been there a long time, and has acclamated to the environment well...

Please let me know what my best options are for pruning without wasting. Thanks!
Kristi

Here is a photo of it:

-
by tkhooper on April 16, 2005 04:23 AM
WOW,

I'm just a beginner so I can't answer your question. But what an amazing bush. I had no idea they could get that big.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on April 16, 2005 09:47 AM
Prune away...you wont be wasting if you dry what you prune off. I cut my rosemary continuously and dry the cuttings...put them in the chopper and have rosemary "powder" which is wonderful in chicken & dumplings..or any chicken recipe. The dry rosemary actually has a stronger flavor...you only use half as much as fresh rosemary. Just store it in an air tight container (I use a zip lock baggie)in a fairly dark place. it lasts a long time.

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by firebetty on April 17, 2005 12:19 AM
Thanks Vanessa, I will definitely dry some. I read that oven drying is the best. Is there any specific temp and time limit for doing this? I usually just use it fresh. I've never dried it before.

thanks for any help!
kristi
by 4Ruddy on April 17, 2005 05:17 AM
Kristi...I haven't a clue about oven temps for drying...I would guess it would have to be pretty low. Most people tie the branches in a bundle and hang them to dry..then when they are dry you just remove the "leaves" from the branch. I always end up doing things a crazy way...what I do is remove the "leaves" first..then I have tiny mesh(screen) wire baskets that I put all of the leaves in and let them dry...but if you are doing a bunch at one time you have to be sure to turn them everyday to assure they don't mildew from the moisture in the leaves at the bottom. A lot of people use them as they are...I prefer to put them in my chopper and cut them til they are almost a powder. I rarely ever use fresh rosemary any more because the flavor of the dry is so much better/stronger. that is what I give all of my family for Christmas...dried herbs from my garden (along with pepper sauce, salsa etc.) from the other things in the garden. Dried rosemary can be expensive to buy...and then you never know the quality or freshness. That is why I have so many rosemary bushes. I also have one planted at the cemetery where my son is burried...rosemary is the herb of remembrence..so it is special to me [Cool] . Hope this long drawn out explanation helps some...you ought to have quite a bit to work with from your bush...it is beautiful...but will look great trimmed back.

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rosemary - the herb| Next thread: Rosemary question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: