The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

wild chives -vs- regular chives?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: wild blueberry bushes| Next thread: Wild Daisies »
Back to Thread index
by phoenix on April 14, 2005 12:02 AM
this cuold possibly be the DUMBEST question that will ever get posted on this site [Confused]
i have a few containers of chives that i started from seed on my back porch. as i was walking around my yard, i discovered a whole bunch of "wild" chives growing all over(i dont recall seeing them last year [dunno] )well i was wondering if planting these "wild" chives with my seedling chive, if i should be concerned about any weird things happening to my seedling chives? [dunno] [nutz] yeah i know your all thinking whoo what a freak

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by auntnene on April 14, 2005 01:17 AM
It could be that when your chives went to seed, the wind carried the seed into the yard and they are all the same. I seem to have chives popping up all over this year too!

[Smile]

Please God, make me as good as my cat thinks I am!
by tkhooper on April 14, 2005 02:20 AM
I have a bunch of wild onions all over the place around here it's great. Weezie helped me identify them.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on April 14, 2005 05:33 AM
TK, our neighbor has a ton of wild onions in their field...I love to be outside when they mow...it just smells wonderful! I think I can prevent your question being the dumbest ever posted by asking....how do you tell the difference in wild onions and wild chives? [dunno] My garlic chives in my herb garden look just like wild onions...so how do you tell the difference? [nutz]

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by tkhooper on April 14, 2005 01:27 PM
Ummmmm ok i'll bite

The size?

this is probably the dummest answer ever but... [thinker]

I've never even thought to look up the differences between green onions and chives I use them pretty much interchangable. Being a city kid for the most part. chives are what I find dried in the seasoning section and green onions are what I find in the produce section of the grocery store.

I can hear past gardeners groaning and rolling over in their graves as I write this ... I'm sure they will come and haunt me tonight.

-
 -
by phoenix on April 14, 2005 06:57 PM
hello all,
these wild chives must have come from somewhere else 'cause this is the first season that i started chives.so iguess a chive is a chive is a chive [grin] the wild chives are a darker green than the ones i have seen that people have planted themselves. they seem to be thicker too [dunno] well thank you all for your replies [thumb]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by 4Ruddy on April 15, 2005 06:37 AM
Okay TK...(I'm crackin up here!)Don't start this into a contest to see who can come up with the dumbest questions...and now answers! I know that onions have "bulbs" on them...but honest to Pete...my chives look like a bunch of wild onions...so I was just wondering the difference. I know we probably have all of the seasoned gardeners in stitches by now! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by tkhooper on April 15, 2005 09:41 AM
I didn't know that. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: wild blueberry bushes| Next thread: Wild Daisies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: