The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cannas / moth problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: CANNAS| Next thread: Cannas and Dahlias »
Back to Thread index
by Sami on July 28, 2004 07:50 PM
OK, I asked about this before & someone gave me an answer but I can't find it.

My cannas have been attacked by some type of moth that lays it's eggs in the leaves & stiches the leaves closed with some kind of webbing. It's destroying my cannas! They look aweful! I was told to spray them with some kind of insecticide, which I've done multiple times & I still keep finding new ones [Eek!] I, actually, caught the culprits last night...and chased them with the spray! Is there anything I can do to deter them from getting into my cannas? Help! [Eek!]

-
Talentless but connected.
by gardenmom32210 on July 28, 2004 10:01 PM
I have the same problem,as a matter of fact I spotted some of those little "buggers" yesterday.

I use a product by Ortho called bug-b-gone for flowering plants. It seems to work really well.

Hope this helps!

Karen [grin]
by just gladys on July 28, 2004 10:03 PM
Not sure if this will help, but it can't hurt.

I recently bought one of the Victor fly traps from Lowe's and it was very effective. Thing is.....when it was getting full and really making me sick looking at it....I dumped it.....and cheap ***ed me, decided to try a home solution made of water and honey (just a little bit)......thing I found out was that it not only attracted flies, but also moths! So guess I'm killing two birds with one stone. Maybe this will help get those moths (although I don't know what kind you have) away from your cannas! Good luck! [Wink]

Gladys
by Sami on August 27, 2004 12:38 AM
I have another question about my cannas...

In the past, I've never done anything for them to get them ready for winter. They seem to overwinter fine in the ground. Most of them are getting dry & browning but some are still blooming here & there. Do I need to prune them back? Like cut them? If so, do I do it now or wait until later in the fall? Do I cut them low or just cut the brown part of the stems off? Can anyone give me any advise?

-
by gardenmom32210 on August 27, 2004 02:30 PM
I only cut the brown parts off. When they all finally get brown is when I cut them down.
One of my neighbors does'nt cut them at all,she just waits until they are all on the ground and then she removes the brown stuff by hand.
You should never cut down a green stalk(on bulbs,tubers and corms) as it is using the energy from the green for next years growth!

Hope this helps [flower]

Karen [grin]
by Sami on August 27, 2004 09:57 PM
Thanks, yep, that helps a lot! I already cut the brown off of a couple of them (as a test) but then second guessed myself & posted to ask. Thanks, again!

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: CANNAS| Next thread: Cannas and Dahlias »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: