The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Mushrooms Growing with Aloe Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: mushrooms growing indoors?| Next thread: mushrooms in house plants »
Back to Thread index
by amsd2dth on August 24, 2004 01:13 PM
Hey all. The other day, I noticed that there are mushrooms, like the ones that grow in your yard, growing with one of my aloe plants. Is this bad, either for the plant or for our health in the apartment? (Not to mention the cats, but I don't think they'll battle the aloe for the mushroom)

I just thought it was quite random and wondered if there is any risk, if I should just pull them up and watch for more.

Thank you!
amsd
by Arctostaphylos on August 25, 2004 12:04 AM
Well there is a plethera of different types of fungi of course but VERY few represent any real threat. The mushroom as you may know is just the reproductive body of the fungi and the actual fungi is growing in the soil, or in some cases wood. The ID of gilled fungi is ofetn difficult by a pic but if you want to take a pic we will give it a try. In general americans (and british) are absurd about the dangers involved with mushrooms. Some are dangerous to be sure but then again so are MANY plants yet we dont fear our garden. Fungi and important to the health and well being of plants and soil, they also are important recyclers. So go forth enjoy your fruiting fungal body and enjoy. Good luck.
by amsd2dth on August 25, 2004 04:19 AM
Here's a pic of them [dunno]
Let's see if I can hotlink to my own site..
 -
by Arctostaphylos on August 25, 2004 07:16 PM
Its what we refer to as a LBM (Little Brown Mushroom). In other words I have no idea, there are hundreds of little guys that look like your pic. If you have iterest in persuing this further you need to do a spore print so we know what color they are (an important first step in ID a fungi). But all in all I dont think this fungi represents a threat to you, your plant, or cat. Good luck.
by amsd2dth on August 26, 2004 02:32 AM
Cool, I'll let them be then. Thanks for the replies!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: mushrooms growing indoors?| Next thread: mushrooms in house plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: