The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

herbs indoors

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: herbs in containers| Next thread: herbs out side in containers »
Back to Thread index
by KIT on February 05, 2005 01:02 AM
I've read that many types of herbs will grow well indoors (over winter when I can't have them outdoors!) but I've had little success. Recently my small pot of chives gave up. Any suggestions? [Embarrassed]
by weezie13 on February 05, 2005 05:15 AM
Hi [wayey] KIT,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!
We are very glad you found us!

Can I ask some questions???

When you planted all of your herbs,
what did you do to them??
What types of pots they were in?
What was your watering practices? ie how did you water, and how much did you water???
What type of soil did you use for potting up???
And what types of plants did you grow???
And temps in the room where they were grown?

If you try your chives again, put them in a pot.
Plant them in regular plastic pot/ with regular garden soil and put your chives in there.
And leave the pot like in a garage maybe or try an experiment... do a couple of pots up and put them in different places and see which one does better and is easier to care for...

Also, look up chia herb garden That will also tell you what kinds are really good for indoors..

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Bestofour on February 06, 2005 01:42 AM
I couldn't find where the site tells what herbs. It just says "gourment herbs."

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by CoolJoe on February 06, 2005 01:52 AM
I also have a similar problem, I had a rosemary three. For a few months, they did well then over a weekend it starts drying, it died within the week [scaredy] . I always kept the same watering habits, i use regular potting soil and a regular glazed terracotta pot. I keep the pot on a table by the window where it gets a few hours of direct morning sun (through a double window) and plenty of light the rest of the day.

The same thing happened to my Spanish lavender… I was very sadden ‘cuz I’ve never seen that plant anywhere else but in some guy’s garden (he moved) [Eek!]

I just planted seeds for some chives, parsley and yet more rosemary. So far the chives are starting to show the tip of their heads! I used little “pucks” of dirt, pretty neat, you add water in a plate and the thing expand from 1cm to about 6cm. I then put the seeds in each overgrown “pucks” and voila! [grin] Just make sure it is well hydrated, when the seedlings are ready, just put them in a pot, no need to remove them from the “puck”, the whole thing goes in the pot.

Cooljoe

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.
by KIT on February 06, 2005 03:26 AM
Thanks for the welcome, and the response.
In the past, I've tried bringing in rosemary, lavender and others, just in the pots they were growing in during the summer. I try to give them as much light as possible, and to let them dry out before watering. They've always just died back to nothing.
Regarding the chives (a more recent example), I dug a 'clump' from my garden, replaced most of the soil with a generic potting mix and planted them in a regular terra cotta pot. I put them in a south facing window, watering when they felt dry. They lasted well for about two months. I cut them twice for use in cooking. Each time, they grew back thinner, until they just gave up.
I've also tried growing basil in winter indoors for use in cooking (I'd had a friend who did it regularly). I don't remember the details anymore of how I treeted them, but I recall that the results were not prolific enough for harvest. I've read that it can be done...I wonder what I'm missing???
by weezie13 on February 06, 2005 05:03 AM
Sheri,
Here's the link to what it has in it...
herb garden indoor tips
Scroll to the middle...

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Bestofour on February 06, 2005 06:07 PM
by weezie13 on February 06, 2005 06:17 PM
Do you grow any of those Sheri????

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by obywan59 on February 09, 2005 07:55 AM
Kit and Cool Joe, I would recommend using plain clay pots instead of plastic or glazed terracotta. The tendency in the winter is to overwater, and even if you let them dry between waterings those types of pots dry out more slowly than clay pots. I dig up my rosemary and lemon grass plants to bring in for the winter, and the only times I've ever lost any plants were when the pots stayed too wet or I let too much water sit in the trays for too long. It doesn't even matter if they are wilting by the time you water them. They will tolerate even relatively severe wilting much more than being too moist.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by SN on February 18, 2005 02:13 AM
Just wanted to say...

The only herb that I have tried to grow that I have not had great success with has been Dill. Dill really likes lots of room, so I guess that was the problem.

I use strawberry pots, they work great. I use Miracle Grow plant food and standard potting soil. I usually put some rocks in the bottom, helps with drainage and you will need a tray underneath.

Chives have grown like crazy this way, and even after I let them die out, they will come back. I have also grown different kinds of basil, different kinds of parsley as well as oregano.

HTH

-
 -
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony... ~Mahatma Gandhi

Rocking through the night
All is silent...Southern Cross

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: herbs in containers| Next thread: herbs out side in containers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: