The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

disease???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: disease???| Next thread: Diseases in lawns in different areas »
Back to Thread index
by Thepianist on October 23, 2005 08:10 AM
I just bought a banana plant a few weeks ago and I just noticed that it possibly had a disease. The leaves are turning yellow nad brown and getting holes in them very early. I could get if they a few months old but they are very young leaves. I think it has Fusarium wilt. How do I get rid of this and control it. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks
by Jiffymouse on October 23, 2005 08:41 AM
i'm moving this to fruits and veggies... i wish i had your answer!
by Will Creed on October 23, 2005 08:47 AM
I think this should have stayed in houseplants. One does not grow banana plants in Michigan as a source of fruit.

If this is a very recent acquisition, you should consider taking it back.

I am not sure why you suspect Fusarium, which typically occurs only in growing facilities where overhead sprinkling systems are used. If it is Fusarium, then it definitely should be returned.
I suspect it may be a root related problem.
by Thepianist on October 23, 2005 11:10 AM
I'm pretty new to banana plants but I have grown several different plants and the leaves on my banana plant seem to be dieing much to fast. Even the new leaves that are still unfolding have to holes in them and are brown and yellow around the edges. I'm not sure if I had the right disease, that is just what it seemed. New leaves are unfolding almost every day and new stocks have started. Everything seemes right except the fast dieing leaves. Have any ideas?

PS, I didn't move the topic. Somebody else moved me to here
by Will Creed on October 23, 2005 09:59 PM
It was the hostess who moved your topic, I think inappropriately. But I just work here.

The fact that new leaves are emerging in a damaged condition suggests that it is a root-related problem. I cannot be more specific than that. It could be that the roots were damaged from over or under watering. It might mean that the soil quality is not good. It might mean that the soil contains some pathogen (bacterial, fungal or viral).

Most of these are conditions that are difficult for you to control, so there is no specific remedy. That is why I suggested that you return the plant before it is too late.

Did you repot your plant? If so, then that might be the cause right there. Otherwise, you could consider re-examining your watering practice. A more extreme measure would be to replace all of the soil (assuming there are still healthy roots). However, this is often traumatic to a plant and should be considered as a last resort option.

Sorry I cannot be more specific or more optimistic. Good luck with it.
by papito on October 24, 2005 05:14 AM
I agree with Will, you might want to return the banana for refund or replacement. Many garden centers have 30-90 days or longer warranty on plants.

As to the Fusarium, The only one I can think of is Fusarium oxysporum.

As to the holes, does it look like the leaves are eaten [large, rugged holes in leaves], [round or angular holes in leaves], [skeletonized leaves] or [tiny puncture holes in leaves]?

I have banana trees grown outdoors in-ground. One of the trees actually blossomed a few weeks ago and have little bananas in it.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Thepianist on October 24, 2005 07:38 AM
Thanks.

papito: The leaves have round holes in them about the size of a quarter or nickel and the edges are brown. The plant is from Monrovia so they should take it back no problem.

Will: I did repot the plant since it was in a very small pot and all of the roots were compacted. I didn't think that banana plants were root compacted plants. Im I wronge? I'll try with some different fertilizer and see if that helps.
by Will Creed on October 24, 2005 10:27 AM
The problem could have originated in the nursery. However, if it looked OK up until you repotted, then the repotting process has to be a consideration as the cause.

In general, it is not a good idea to repot a newly acquired plant, even if it looks like it needs it. The roots may have been damaged during the repotting. The soil mix may have contained a pathogen or may not have been of proper porosity.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: disease???| Next thread: Diseases in lawns in different areas »
Back to Thread index