The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Key Lime Tree + Ants = ?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Key Lime Recipes for Nako| Next thread: Kiddies Veggie Garden »
Back to Thread index
by reguy on September 28, 2005 02:23 PM
Hello,

I bought and planted a 5 gallon key lime tree back in May. The plant has been doing relatively well, and seemed to be relatively pest free...until now.

This past week, I noticed ants were climbing two of the branches to the very end and climbing back down for no apparent reason. The areas of the branch where I spotted them have turned a bumpy dark woodsy color.

My question is:
Are the dark woodsy lumps caused by the ants?
Or
Are they caused by some pest the ants are trying to get to?
Or
Are they totally unrelated?

Thanks!
Steve [Wink]
by Longy on September 28, 2005 05:44 PM
A bumpy dark woodsy colour huh. Hmmm. Ants will be attracted to scale insect, a small, dark, rounded critter about the size of a match head split in half that secretes a sweet substance the ants use. They actually farm these critters. They also farm aphids for much the same reason. Either of these could possibly be the problem. However, your above description suggests possible galls on the tree. Which is unrelated to ants. A lumpy node or swelling on a branch caused by an insect also. So before suggesting what you need as a cure, we'd possibly need you to give more info. Have a really close look at what's happening. See if any of these suggestions are possibly the case. Also note the colour of the new and old leaves, if they have any yellowing and if it is interveinal or all over the leaf.

-
The secret is the soil.
by reguy on September 29, 2005 11:00 PM
I managed to take a photo of the branch in question.

-

Thanks!
Steve
by tkhooper on September 29, 2005 11:12 PM
Key Lime tree? Where did you get a key lime tree? Would it grow in zone 7a? I so want a key lime tree. The questions is where could I hide it from the landlord. Or maybe I could keep it in a pot? I love key lime cake.
by reguy on September 30, 2005 03:08 AM
Tkhooper,

It was hard finding the key lime tree (also called Mexican Lime or Bartender's Lime)...very hard. All the nurseries I called carried only Berass(sp?) Lime Trees. I called a commercial grower and they directed me to one of their retailers. I managed to buy their ONE tree remaining.

I think you can keep it potted (for...um...mobility [lala] ) and it will still produce fruit. The trees don't get that big. I'm not sure if it will grow in Zone 7a. Might have to move it inside for the winter.

Here's some info I found on the net.
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Rutaceae/Citrus_aurantifolia.html

Mmmm...key lime pie... [clappy]

Steve [Wink]
by Longy on September 30, 2005 02:00 PM
You appear to have scale insect Reguy. They are sap suckers and love new citrus growth. If it is only on that branch, just snip it off and eat them. (OK. Don't have to eat them,) Or just run your fingers along and squish them all. The ants will move scale about on the tree and they will pop up on other new shoots. If the tree is infested with them, you can spray it with pyrethrum and whiteoil/pest oil. This is a non selective poison though and will kill other good critters too. Next time you fertilise, ensure the fert you use has reasonably high potassium and this will help strengthen the plant against further attack. Or sprinkle 2:1 of blood and bone meal : sulphate of potassium as a gentle organic citrus fertiliser. Plenty of mulch, consistent watering.
HAve a good look over the plant to ensure there are no other minor outbreaks and get them early if possible.

-
The secret is the soil.
by papito on September 30, 2005 10:54 PM
Info from the University of California [UC Davis] about Red and Yellow Scales:

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r107301111.html

From "Pests Of The Garden And Small Farm" by Mary Louise Flint, University of California:

quote:
Oil spray should be applied between July and September (one spray should be enough). Oil spray kill adult as well as immature scales, so precise timing is not too important. Foliage and fruit can be damaged when oil is applied under dry, hot conditions, so spray after an irrigation when soil moisture is high and temperatures will not go above 90*F.
I have had the scales on my limes, lemons, oranges, apples and plums in the past. The trees were treated with oil spray.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by tkhooper on October 01, 2005 01:41 AM
My apartment is so small if I moved another plant in for the winter I'd have to move my bed outside lol. I guess I'll just have to continue to look for the key lime juice for my baking needs.
by reguy on October 04, 2005 01:22 AM
Thanks guys!

I have some neem oil concentrate, so I mixed up a batch hosed the infested branches down and scraped those lil' bastards off. [Frown]

Steve [Wink]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Key Lime Recipes for Nako| Next thread: Kiddies Veggie Garden »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: