The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Maybe aphids?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Meg on June 29, 2004 05:23 PM
About a week ago, we noticed tiny black specks all over my hibiscus. It was not bugs, just black spots, nearly completely covering a couple of buds. And big ants were swarming all over it. Ok, that made me think aphids because I read they feed off the "honey dew" the aphids leave behind. I did eventually see the little "suckers", tho not sure if they were aphids or not. They didn't much look like the pic of aphids I'd seen. They were green, but slightly fuzzy, tho not "caterpillar like". They were pretty small. And then I noticed that there was also white specks around, as well as the black specks.

We had to go away for the weekend, and I still didn't know what these were, or how to treat them. I got back yesterday to a badly beaten hibiscus. Some branches have yellowed and drooped down. The flowers are mostly covered completely now. I think this plant is a goner, too late for me to save. Makes me sad & mad, cuz I got it as a mother's day gift and it had been doing so well, finally showing all it's blooms in recent days.

What worries me now is this- I have my pumpkins growing on the other side of the porch from this mess. Only about 6 or so feet away from the dying hibiscus. I don't want them infected. Will it be enough if I just pull out the hibiscus and get rid of it? Or what can I do now? My pumpkins are just starting to show fruit in a couple spots, with many more immature females yet to come. HELP. [thinker]

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by Meg on June 29, 2004 07:35 PM
Ok, so I took a few bad photos of the injured/infected/infested hibiscus.. just so you can see how bad it's getting. Pretty much the whole thing is covered by this stuff now. [Eek!] [Mad]

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by Arctostaphylos on June 29, 2004 07:51 PM
Well I could not tell from the pics but your description and general look is consistent with aphids. However, the first step is ALWAYS to correctly id your problem therefore i strongly suggest that you take a piece to a nusery you trust or the ag. extension to confirm. Good luck.
by Arctostaphylos on June 29, 2004 07:51 PM
Well I could not tell from the pics but your description and general look is consistent with aphids. However, the first step is ALWAYS to correctly id your problem therefore i strongly suggest that you take a piece to a nusery you trust or the ag. extension to confirm. Good luck.
by plantlady19 on June 30, 2004 08:39 PM
I'm not sure I can be of any help, but I hope you figure it out. The hibiscus is such a beautiful plant. Good luck!

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.

Active Garden Forum