The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cherry Tree in a pot

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Cherry Tree Gall???| Next thread: Cherry Tree Problem »
Back to Thread index
by gasdoctor on September 26, 2005 03:21 AM
Hi,

Im going to grow a sunburst cherry on a gisela5 rootstock in a pot. I live in the middle of England with a very hot patio

I wonder if I could get some advice.

Firstly how big a pot am I going to need?

Secondly, what should I put in it. ie compost or soil mix, perlite etc?

Cheers

Ed
by papito on September 27, 2005 11:24 PM
quote:
Im going to grow a sunburst cherry on a gisela5 rootstock in a pot.
See info about Sunburst Cherry Tree here.
Any idea what your climate zone is? Cherries are suited in zones 5-9 depending on location.

quote:
I live in the middle of England with a very hot patio.
I also grow [dwarf] Cherry trees in the patio. They are in plastic pots.

I wonder if I could get some advice.

quote:
Firstly how big a pot am I going to need?
Most fruiting trees are sold bare-roots or in 5-gal, containers. I would transplant the Cherry tree in a 20" dia. pot. Use corresponding size drip tray to avoid soil stain in your patio. After 3 years, the tree can be re-planted in a 24" or 26" dia. pot. I use mostly plastic pots for my fruiting trees. Plastic pots are lighter than ceramic, wood, metal or terra cota pots and last longer.

quote:
Secondly, what should I put in it. ie compost or soil mix, perlite etc?
I use store bought potting soil and amend it. The ideal soil pH is 6.5. However, if you don't like store bought potting soil, you can mix your own. Here's a sample mix:

4 cft. dampened Peat Moss
2 cft Sand
2 cft. perlite
2 cft. Compost
1 lb. Dolomite Lime
3-1/2 lb. Osmocote

There are other soil mix recipes available in the internet. Be sure to leave about 2 inches space at the top of the container.

Happy Gardening!

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by gasdoctor on October 01, 2005 03:49 AM
Cheers, for that.

Its kinda what Ive been thinking (read) but havent found anything before actually on cherries in pots.

Ive ordered a two year old sunburst already as I like the "gorgeous" flavour description.

Ive no idea what my climate is, other than temperate. The patio is shelterd and up against a south east and south west walls, its ideal for succulents as everything else gets roasted, the strawberries and the tomatos have done really well.(but have needed a lot of water)

The tree will be a challenge but Im encouraged that it can be done.

Im going to incorpoate a watering system.

Its really the pot that is giving me a headache, but at least its narrowed down to plastic.

I dont suppose anyone has any piccies or links to similar pots they use?

Thanks again.

Ed
by Winter Rosebudd on October 02, 2005 03:38 AM
Hi Ed! I have a cherry tree in a whiskey barrel and he's very happy there. He's also in a very hot location, requires alot of water, but really doing amazingly well!

I just love the rustic look of the whiskey barrels, but they are rather heavy. Heres a link with some pics of some nice ones...

http://www.rainbarrelsandmore.com/containergardening.htm

-
by gasdoctor on October 03, 2005 03:05 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the link.

I assume its a half barrel, when I looked at them they looked wide enough but quite shallow.

Do you have a liner (first time I heard of them)
by Winter Rosebudd on October 03, 2005 06:36 AM
Yes mine is a 1/2 barrel. I didn't use a liner, its doing really well. Check your local nurseries, I paid about 30 dollars for mine, but shipping one of those would be a fortune. I think they're priced some what reasonably, I'm not sure how long they last but mine is looking better with age. [flower]

-
by papito on October 03, 2005 11:58 PM
I didn't mention half wine barrels although I use some of them. The barrel is 28" dia. at top, and about 24" dia. at the base and holds about 2 cu.ft. of potting soil.

Here's my list of fruiting plants in half wine barrels:

Asian Pears....6
Calamondin.....4
Cherry.........1 [+4 repotted in 24" pots]
Fejoia.........9 [+1 repotted in 24" pot]
Loquat.........2
Mango..........2
Navel Orange...2
Persimmons.....7

Vegetable:
Watercress.....2

These barrels are about 15 years old. About half of them will have to be replaced next spring.

Before using them, I filled these barrels with water and let them sit for a week or until no water leaked at the sides; drained, then I painted the outside surface, drilled 4 one inch holes at the bottom for drainage.

The replacement barrels will be prepared diffferently. I would paint both inner and outer surface with a multipurpose pre-mixed exterior primer and paint. Instead of drilling holes at the bottom, I would drill 4, 1" holes on the sides, an inch above the bottom cover. I will then use 3/4" perforated pvc pipe, cut to desired length without sticking out of the barrel[where you can attach a 1" plastic tube for drainage] . The pipes will meet at the center of the barrel where they will be inserted in a cross cut pvc of same diameter. The pipes will then be covered with rocks before laying the potting soil. For added protection to the wood, a fabric weedblocker can be fashioned to cover the inner side of the barrel.

Ed, I hope this info is of some help in the use of wine barrels. There are two other sizes of wine barrel, a full and a 3/4 size. The 1/2 barrels were selling here for about $14.99 to $19.99, the 3/4 barrels for about 50% more and the full barrels for about double the price of the 1/2 barrels.

Rosebudd, unlined 1/2 wine barrel may last more or less about 10-15 years, at least from what I experienced.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
by gasdoctor on October 08, 2005 01:58 AM
cheers,
Thats very usefull as the half barrels are loads cheaper even in the UK (everything is more expensive).

Just one question though, on inspection the barrels are coated on the inside with a black "paint" like coating, is this normal or have these been treated with something toxic (like creosote etc (though its not available anymore))
Were your barrels just wood coloured inside, ie no coating, bare?

Ed
by papito on October 08, 2005 05:13 AM
Ed,

It is normal for the inside surface of wine barrels to have "colored" coatings [ some are black, others are reddish-purplish, depending on what wines were aged in them] . This is due the fermentation process. It is safe to use the barrels for plants.

Looks like you are leaning towards wine barrels. One other thing I want to mention is the use of "casters". Casters will help move the barrels and also allow you room to put drip tray [under the barrel].

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
by gasdoctor on November 11, 2005 02:55 AM
Hi,

My tree is arriving in a few weeks, so gotta make a descion.

Ive been looking at square wooden planters, these box like containers have feet on them.

This is my question...

Should I leave the leg/feet on, ie so the planter is raised off the ground or..

Should I saw them off so the base is flush to the floor?

Having the pot raised would allow good drainage but Im concerned it will alllow the roots to get to dry in summer or too hot/cold in summer/winter.

(Having difficulty finding wine barrels)

Cheers for your continuing help

Ed

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cherry Tree Gall???| Next thread: Cherry Tree Problem »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: