The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

deer/squirrel/rabbit deterrant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: deer favorites| Next thread: Def Con 3!!! »
Back to Thread index
by pagarden on June 27, 2004 06:02 AM
i have made this and it had worked so far. even lasts through a few rains. i suppose cause of the eggs???

4 eggs
4 cloves of garlic
4 tbsp tobasco sauce
4 tbsp cayenne pepper
4 cups water
(and when i was walking through the produce section they had habaneros so i put in 3 of them too. just pulled the stem off and through the whole thing in)

put all in blender and mix well. let it sit for 2 days and then pour it over plants.

i poured it all over my apple tree (it's a baby and the deer have chewed some leaves off) and around my hostas and lilies and even though it's rained a few times after, i still see the stuff stuck on the leaves! i tried to put it in an old spray bottle, but i clogged the nozzle so i ended up putting it in an old dishsoap bottle and squirted it. so far it's worked.....
by pagarden on June 27, 2004 06:03 AM
oh but just so you know- after i squirted it, there were swarms of flies for a few hours till it dried....
by plantlady19 on June 29, 2004 09:10 PM
Did u know that if you have a dog, you can put its droppings at the base of your outdoor plants? Not only does it keep pesky animals away that like to much leaves, it fertilizes your plants.

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by weezie13 on June 30, 2004 12:16 AM
Plantlady19,
JUST MAKE SURE THE PLANT YOU ARE DOING THAT TO
ARE...............
[shocked] NOT ONE NOT ONE'S YOU'RE GOING TO EAT PRODUCE OFF OF LATER [Frown] [Razz]
Never put cat or dog poopie around any fruit or vegetable plant you are going to eat/consume from.
They carry icky germs and stuff that can be transmitted to humans.

I would say any perennial would be ok [thumb]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by pagarden on June 30, 2004 06:15 AM
yea, i heard the same thing. so i was gonna put some in a disposable bowl and put in the corner of my garden that way i could take it out. just haven't done that one yet.....
by plantlady19 on June 30, 2004 08:28 PM
Don't be silly Weezie! lol! I know better than to put that on anything I plan to eat. And besides it isn't like you smear it on the plant. (EWWWW!) It would go in the soil at the base. But I think Pagarden may be on to something. Perhaps placing it in bowls at the corners of your garden would work for edible plants. That way you don't have to worry about germs. Yuck!

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.
by weezie13 on June 30, 2004 08:46 PM
I probably figured as much as you knew,
but sometimes, when someone is just learning gardening and coming acrossed this post in a
Google search or something**....(**some gardener's just like to read and not post or become a member)~So, I like to make sure I always post that under there in case the new gardener reads that post and doesn't realize this shouldn't [Frown] be done.
Do you know what I mean???
That way, I know no one will try it and say,
well, I read it on this forum, etc., etc.!!

Another motto I LIVE BY, is Better to be safe than sorry!!! Day in and day out!!! [thumb]
Call me a stick in the mud, or a fuddy~duddy,
I can handle that!!! LOL, but just makin' sure!

That's half the reason I am an organic gardener,
case I forget when I pestided something on which day, for how long to wait and pop it in my mouth.
I'm so forgetful!!!

[thumb] [thumb] [thumb]
Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by plantlady19 on July 01, 2004 08:33 PM
Thats very responsible of you Weezie. [thumb]
by Phil and Laura on July 01, 2004 08:43 PM
We use Black Pepper...A little costly, and has to be re-applied after a rain, but Safe Wash your lettuce well, cause if you are like me...Black Pepper [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] [Razz] Phil
by frustratedattimes on July 01, 2004 10:38 PM
Ummmmmmmm maybe I should not say this, but I will [devil] . I keep my unwanted furry visitors away with firecrackers. [grin] It does work really well. I am just not the type of person to put dog/cat poop out or smear that hot stuff on my plants. I would eat the hot stuff. [Embarrassed] . Anyway that is my soluthin

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by afgreyparrot on July 01, 2004 10:50 PM
I would like to have the firecrackers for the neighbor's dogs who POOP by my plants! [Big Grin]

And today I put lettuce in my bird garden because I saw a rabbit there for the first time this morning! [Big Grin]

FREAKY!!!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by pagarden on July 02, 2004 06:42 AM
hahaha- you sound a lot like my husband! he just loves to scare the neighborhood kids when they are playing by lighting firecrackers! LOL oh- and i never put the hot stuff on my edible garden- it never said not too, but just knowing that there were rotten eggs really turns me off. who knows if it will make us sick or not. i just stick to the plants we don't eat. oh, and an older lady told me she always has problems with the deer eating her flowers, so this year she used a spray bottle, collected her urine and then sprayed it around her flowers and this is the first year she's actually gotten to enjoy them. LOL my husband just about died laughing when i told him. i suppose it would work i just don't have the heart to do it.
by afgreyparrot on July 02, 2004 07:49 AM
[Big Grin] I draw the line on pest control when it comes to peeing in a spray bottle!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Bunny on July 03, 2004 12:08 AM
Powdered fox urine. This stuff is pretty good. I sprinkle it around the garden or whatever and it keeps all kinds of animals out. It says it'll still be around after a little rain but would need to be reapplied if it rains hard. My sister gave it to me, saying she bought it on the internet. Don't know where. My wife thinks little bunny's are cute. So does my 4 year old. I think they are cute running through fields that have natural predators and natural food and stuff. I don't like rabbits in my garden. [Mad] I don't care if my wife thinks they are cute.

--Bunny [nutz]

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: deer favorites| Next thread: Def Con 3!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: