The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

cucumber beetle

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by pagarden on June 25, 2004 12:08 AM
i first spotted them this morning when i went to water. i only saw about 5 of them and i have 5 squash plants. i put my gloves on a squished them. so this afternoon i went and looked more and saw one. i know this isn't an infestation, but when i looked at the stem of my zucchini plants (checking on the small fruits) i noticed chewed in holes on the stem! [tears] the plants are HUGE, so i don't think a few little holes will destroy it, but what can i use to keep them under control? i was trying not to use a pesticide cause i have noticed ladybugs and earthworms and don't want to kill all the good bugs. what other choice to i have to save my plants?
by Phil and Laura on June 25, 2004 06:32 AM
Pagarden, Heres a link from a few days ago,Click on: pickle problem
and here is one for control, read down to the control sectiom...a real good read!
Organic and biorational control
Hope this helps you, I use the traps, coated with tangle foot and baited with 100% clove oil(walmart Pharmacy) The traps are yellow margarine tubs( I can't believe it's not butter) [grin]
by weezie13 on June 25, 2004 07:15 AM
I get the ICBINB tubs,
What do you do with them after you've coated them?
Upright, sideways, turned upside down? [perplexed]
Hanging from a rope? [Big Grin]
Come on Phil, [critic] I gotta know, [dunno] they are my worst headache around here [nutz] ...well, as far as bugs go! [Roll Eyes]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Phil and Laura on June 25, 2004 02:11 PM
Weezie, I have to say that I am a recycler, so in this pick, you will see I utilized the bottoms of old mini blinds for stakes! [Embarrassed] At Walmart, I could not find the clove oil, asked the pharmacist, he looked, Out! Said he had some in the pharmacy, I told him,I'm using it to LURE cuke beetles I have VISIBLY Bad Teeth, to the pharmacy, a lil bitty vial($3.80) he advises me again, If you get this on the inside of your mouth it will burn! Grrrrrr.Any YELLOW container would work, and I tried laying them down...dirt was the biggest catch! I just figured looking as much like a flower was better. I still have the complete program to post, but with company comin', figure we need to make the place look like we don't spend All The Time Outside [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
I have the traps 2ft. off the ground and every 12 ft.  -
Just Redid all these and all they have caught since is Rain [Big Grin]
 -
With the cooler temps (41 this morning) Brrrrr, things and bugs have slowed down, weather is suppose to warm next week [grin] [dunno]
by Meg on June 25, 2004 03:01 PM
Brrrr. Phil & Laura, that comment made me lookie at your profile. Minnesota, eh? Guess it's much cooler there than here in WV. We've had days in the 80's -90's for awhile now, and the mornings start out around 70.

Of course, inside my house, it's brrr.. central a/c, I love it!

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by pagarden on June 25, 2004 03:49 PM
ok so i checked this morning again and there were some that were mating! EEWWW!!! anyhow, how'd ya do the tubs? make sure they are yellow, put them on mini blinds (i just happen to have some i use too- although i use them for markers, i write what i planted in sharpie) and just put in the clove oil? or what?????? thanks! [Wink]
by Phil and Laura on June 25, 2004 06:36 PM
Yep, yellow tubs, or cups of anytype,Poke a couple holes in the bottom of the tub, I used bag ties to run through the holes and around the stake(funny I used them last year for markers Too!)Smear the tangle foot around the edges of the tub and bottom, drop in a drop of clove oil, I Might add it also goes by EUGENOL, which is the what gives the fragrance you smell in clove oil. I have to say...Results may vary!!
by pagarden on June 27, 2004 05:51 AM
ok..... [dunno] .....what's tangle foot? i've never heard of it before....
by Phil and Laura on June 29, 2004 05:59 PM
Sorry for the delay! Tangle foot is used on trees to capture insects, In that application you wrap the tree with a paper tape and coat it with tangle foot, It is available in most garden and yard stores or in an orchard supply house, i got lucky and found it at the local farm store, it is usually around the section on gardening, ask at your local greenhouse

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: