The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Frog invasion

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Frisch's chilli| Next thread: Froggies for Weezie... »
Back to Thread index
by gardenmom32210 on June 23, 2004 02:49 PM
Yesterday I caught 3 sets of frogs making out in my pond. Now I have a whole bunch of slimey frog eggs floating around in it.
My question is: If I leave them alone will I be overrun with tadpoles and will they hurt my goldfish? I'm mainly concerned with my goldfish as I don't want to lose them.

Karen [grin]
by afgreyparrot on June 23, 2004 03:38 PM
[Big Grin] Sorry, Karen!
Couldn't help but laugh! Maybe it was the "making out" reference! I just have a very vivid imagination, and I was picturing frogs making out!
 -
Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by gardenmom32210 on June 23, 2004 07:50 PM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] Maybe I should of taken pictures to post [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Karen [grin]
by afgreyparrot on June 23, 2004 11:57 PM
[Big Grin] Uhhh.....I think maybe that's against the law in some states!
[Big Grin]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Chrissy on June 24, 2004 01:29 AM
I have several frogs & tadpoles in my pond & they live happily along with my goldfish:) [grin]

-
 -
z5b
by Arctostaphylos on June 24, 2004 02:32 AM
I think it is more likely that the fish will consume the tadpoles, I can not think of any way the frogs would impact the fish. But reviewing the thread of this I think frisky frogs is really the idea behind this. Good luck.
by gardenmom32210 on June 25, 2004 02:30 PM
Never Mind
I went outside this morning and the goldfish are floating belly up [Eek!] [Razz]
From what ya'll said.I'm pretty sure it wasn't the frogs. Don't know what killed them though :(I guess I'll start over again with some more fish).
It just aggravates me cause I paid $5 a piece for the 6 goldfish I had.

Karen [grin]
by weezie13 on June 25, 2004 07:45 PM
Gardenmom,
Do you have "wild" animals around you?
Sometimes raccoon eat the fish???
or Heuron Birds??????

Or did anyone dump something in the pond??

Papito and Njoynit I remember do something with fish.

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by plantlady19 on June 25, 2004 08:42 PM
The reason frogs have so many eggs is because they are so vulnerable as babies that only a small percentage will make it to adulthood. As for your worries about frog/fish interaction, I wouldn't worry at all. They tend to get alone quite well. But I think that before you go buy more fish for your pond you might want to consider testing its pH. Sometimes if the water is too acidic or too alkaline it will cause a die-off. Watch the frogs. See how they fare. If they make it, odds are that there isn't a toxin in the water. Just go pick up a pH kit at wal-mart. Maybe fish just can't make it in the water.
by Sami on June 26, 2004 06:21 AM
Karen, how long have you had your fish? I don't have my pond set up but hope to begin it this fall. I want to create an "environment" so it doesn't require a lot of care. I killed 3 rounds of fish, a few years ago, starting an aquarium, lol. It was the PH [Embarrassed] I just jump into things sometimes & have to learn from mistakes [Smile]

-
Talentless but connected.
by gardenmom32210 on June 26, 2004 03:54 PM
They had been in the pond for 4 months with no problems. I never thought about the PH,so that might be it. I will definately check it before I buy more fish.

Thanks Ya'll [kissies]

Karen [grin]
by plantlady19 on June 29, 2004 09:16 PM
Oh, just so ya know...the ideal pH for most animals ranges from 6-8, but you should try and determine what the ideal pH for the fish you want is. If your water doesn't coincide, try a different species of fish.

Rule like a Goddess.
Command like a queen.
Work like a slave.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Frisch's chilli| Next thread: Froggies for Weezie... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: