The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

this year it is a bell pepper bumper crop

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Tamara from Minnesota on September 09, 2005 08:05 AM
Two years ago it was hot peppers. I still have some in the freezer from then!
Anyway here is a photo of my bell peppers. I have to rejoice over what does grow well. After having fusarium so bad everywhere and powdery mildew and rabbits eating everything, I have to love my onion and peppers!
 -

What bumper crops do you have this year?

-
by ChristinaC on September 09, 2005 09:03 AM
WOW!!! [clappy] [muggs] [thumb]
Those are gorgeous looking peppers!! Send some my way?? [Wink]
Christina

-
 -
by weezie13 on September 09, 2005 09:48 PM
WOW [clappy] WOW [thumb] WOW [Cool] WOW [grin] WOW!!
Very nice lookin' peppers!!!

What all did you do for your
plants to achieve such results [critic] ..???

Care to share [gabby] how???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by WyoMom on September 09, 2005 10:22 PM
Now that is a pretty sight. I planted a purple variety that seems to be doing better than my green.
Nancy
by Tamara from Minnesota on September 10, 2005 09:05 AM
Thanks! I started some from seed and some I purchased after my cats ate some and I trampled some of the seedlings. So anyway I used Garden's Alive vegetables Alive fertilizer, once at planting and once recently. I think they grew on their own. I also sprayed for blossom end rot. I just wish I had more serranos. I do like growing bell peppers because they are so pricey in the stores. After I photographed these I cut them into lobes and put in freezer bags. I had one bag full of yellow and one of red. That should last through the winter for stirfrys and stuff. [Cool]

-
by monajean on September 11, 2005 10:48 AM
How long did it take for your peppers to turn colors.I planted red and yellow in mid-April. They grew large and pretty but were green in color. I finally picked them in August. After the first picking, the rest were very small and wrinkled and only turned partially. I put in fresh dirt with turkey litter this year, it was my first year with a raised bed.
Monajean
by ladybug67 on September 15, 2005 08:16 AM
My pepper plants are small but i have a few on each. The pepper plant that I was talking about before about the bell pepper growing up, the lite green/white one, well it is starting to fall down. I think cause its getting bigger now and the weight is bring it down. I have a couple plants on the porch that are the mixed bell and out in the garden are reg. bell peppers which i will keep the peppers on til i have to pick them. so i can't wait to try them. Dee

being a mom is the best job their is and hardest too!!! lol
by Tamara from Minnesota on September 30, 2005 08:32 AM
Well the hailstorm ended the pepper crop for this year and I let them get frosted on last night (although it wasn't enough to kill them). But I did have this enormous pepper to be happy about. Here is a picture of my showstopper pepper. I am a proud mommmy. [flower]
 -

-
by tkhooper on September 30, 2005 08:52 AM
Now that's what I call a pepper lol. Way to go.
by MissJamie on September 30, 2005 09:08 AM
WOAH!! THAT HAS TO BE THE BIGGEST PEPPER I'VE EVER SEEN!! would you happen to have any seeds that I can have some of? I want to grow bell peppers next year and that is one thing I don't have seeds for. I have tons of stuff that I could trade you if you're interested! thanks!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by reguy on September 30, 2005 09:30 AM
Wow...that's huge! [shocked] What have you been feeding it? Inquiring minds really want to know!

My bell peppers are just turning color now, but they're just a tad bit shy of supermarket size.

Steve [Wink]
by tkhooper on September 30, 2005 11:00 AM
Hey Miss Jamie if you don't find seeds for bell peppers somewhere else let me know I have a few I can let you have.
by weezie13 on September 30, 2005 11:10 AM
That IS a beautiful pepper....

And YES, do tell us your secret as
to what you did...
It looks yummy!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by MissJamie on September 30, 2005 11:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
Hey Miss Jamie if you don't find seeds for bell peppers somewhere else let me know I have a few I can let you have.
ok thanks a bunch tk! will they change colors when they produce like these did? they are so pretty!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by Sorellina on October 01, 2005 01:07 AM
Wow, my boyfriend would be so jealous of those results! He had the rainbow pepper garden this year and we got tons of wonderful peppers but hardly any that turned yellow before succumbing to earwig or cabbage butterfly larvae damage. He didn't get the seedlings transplanted until June, though. Lots of flowers and fruit-set going on right now, but it's so cold outside, not sure if we'll get much more harvested before frost ends it.

Thanks for sharing lovely pictures,
Julianna

-
by tkhooper on October 01, 2005 01:36 AM
I'm sorry I miss understood. I just have the regular old green ones. But if I get some of the others I will definitely let you know.
by Tamara from Minnesota on October 02, 2005 11:12 AM
[Embarrassed] Thanks! I started some basic red peppers from seed but some died from hail in spring and so I bought the plants at the nursery in little 6 packs. My cats eat my pepper plants, hot and bell, and I think I will just buy plants from now on. I didn't do anything at all special with this plant and I am not sure why one pepper got so big. I used Garden's Alive Vegetables Alive fertilizer at planting and just before I started harvesting. It is a granular and needs to be sort of scratched or dug in. My soil is pretty good though. I plan to do a soil test this month as I always put it off! [thumb]

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: