The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bearded Irus Transplant question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by thecakelady on September 30, 2006 08:01 PM
I have a grouping of Bearded Irus' that have not been seperated for more than 15 years and have grown quite large. It is now the end of September (in Tennessee) and I wanted to know if it is ok to dig them up, seperate & transplant them?
by thecakelady on September 30, 2006 08:03 PM
Please send your replies to:

I removed your email address for safety reasons ~cindy

by Bill on September 30, 2006 08:33 PM
by afgreyparrot on September 30, 2006 08:37 PM
Hi, [wavey]
I removed your email address from the post above for saftety reasons.
We like to keep our members here safe from spammers, etc.

The members will answer your question here, so that others can also learn by reading your topic.

Here's some info on transplanting irises.
Dividing and Transplanting Iris Plants

Welcome to the forum! [grin] [wavey]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by afgreyparrot on September 30, 2006 08:38 PM
Looks like Bill beat me to this one! [Big Grin] [wavey]

(...getting slow in my old age!)

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Patty S on September 30, 2006 10:23 PM
quote:
It is now the end of September (in Tennessee)
Well it's sure nice to hear that, because it's the end of September in Oregon too! [grin] I just hate it here on the forum when it comes to the time zones (you people go to bed too early) ...but I'm sure glad that our calendars are the same! [Big Grin]

Welcome to the forum, Cake lady!  - (Is it safe to assume that you like to bake?) [thumb] You'll find that we're a bunch of friendly people here, all willing to help each other & share our gardening experiences (as well as our hobbies, pets, kids, recipies... the list goes on, as you may have noticed). Many of us have developed good friendships here, & we're like one big family!

I'm looking forward to getting to know you & hearing about what else you have in your gardens... or about your hobbies, pets, kids, recipies, etc. (Oh, and we LOVE pictures here!) Please stop in at the New Member forum & introduce yourself... or, just jump in on a topic & join our family!

By the way, I'd love to see your Iris when they bloom! If you want to see what happens when you don't thin Bearded Iris, take a look at this mess. (When a "grouping" gets this big, thinning can turn into quite a bit of work!)

Hope to see you again soon... & often!  -

-
 -
by joclyn on October 01, 2006 11:23 AM
welcome to the forum! good bunch of people here!

oh, most definitely split out the iris!! now is the perfect time - it can even be done in early spring, too.

lol, 15 years is a long time to wait to split them out!! you're certainly going to have a job on your hands!!!

it took me two days to split out mine - and that was only 3 rhyzomes originally that had been growing for 6 years...i had over 40 new iris to transplant when i was done.

you're going to have hundreds!!

if i were you, i'd plan on doing a section or two now and then doing more in the spring. you'll probably need to finish it up next fall.

what color is your iris? if they're white, pink or purple, i'd be interested in doing a trade. i've got deep purple bearded iris (and a few other things too).

let me know and good luck with the splitting/transplanting!!!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: