The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

~~~Petunias~~~

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Petunias| Next thread: Petunias »
Back to Thread index
by new-gardener on April 18, 2005 03:30 AM
I bought a flat of Cascade and Picotte Velvet Petunias (Grandiflora).
I am wondering, how far should I space these out? I've heard anything from 3" to 15".
I think that they would look prettier if they were closer together, but, I don't want to stunt their growth. Also, do they spread at all? And how deep of a container will I need to put them in? (How deep will the roots grow?)
And how much should I water them, what should I feed them?
Basically, if you know ANYTHING at all about Petunias, please post here! [grin]

I am a new gardener, any suggestions appreciated!
by connie mounsey on April 18, 2005 02:44 PM
We grew petunias in a tank that was left in our yard by a previous owner. It gets shade in the am and full sun by lunch time. We just gave them lots of water and deadheaded the flowers. They were very easy to take care of.

-
Right after we planted
 -
Later on in the summer
 -
Close up

Good luck with your petunias, I know you will enjoy them! Connie

Without faith life has no meaning.
by new-gardener on April 20, 2005 05:21 AM
Oh my gosh, those are absolutely GORGEOUS!!!
How long has it been since you planted them? They look like they aren't very far apart, and still look healthy. I hope that mine end up looking just like yours.
The tank is a wonderful concept. Thanks for the ideas [Embarrassed]

by connie mounsey on April 20, 2005 02:23 PM
Those were last years petunias. They were very easy and we did put them pretty close together. I haven't done anything with it this year yet besides the hubby putting compost in. I think he is going to put dill there. I thought it would be nice to have some other butterfly attracting plants as well. We have a puppy and we are going to have to put a little wire fence around it to keep him out because he thinks that is the perfect place for him to dig! Good luck with your petunias!

Connie

by Leander on April 20, 2005 07:49 PM
Petunias are easy to grow and I have crowded them together in containers as well as mixed them in with other stuff. They do need deadheading and replant themselves easily. Mine get very 'leggy' in the summer tho and always freeze out so here they are annuals. I feed all my stuff monthly with Medina Hasta Grow. That is GREAT stuff.Lots of sun and average water.
by weezie13 on April 21, 2005 06:46 AM
Connie,
I just had to jump in here and tell you those patunia's are gorgeous!!!!

What fun [clappy] it must be to pick stuff [flower] for that tub you've got there..... [thumb]

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by connie mounsey on April 21, 2005 01:41 PM
Thanks Weezie, you just can't go wrong with petunias! We are putting the dill there this year because I am afraid it will spread horribly in the veggie garden. I make pickles and you gotta have fresh dill! This will be our 2nd summer here and so it is hard not to go crazy planning new things!

This is a new bed we just made a couple of weekends ago
 -

This is our next project area. Hubby just bought me the old water pump
 -

Connie

by weezie13 on April 24, 2005 06:00 PM
***Connie,
I had bought some Dill seeds last year,
and never quite knew where to put them
because I had read that about them and
didn't want them over~running my raised beds.
And I change things every year where I plant stuff in them and can't afford to loose one spot
to one thing.....a permenate thing...

I think I'll find a big pot and put them in there
this year..
I don't do pickles' would love toooooo, but,
I wanted to grow them because I've read they attract great beneficial bugs to your garden that eat and destroy the bad bugs!!!!

Do you have a pickle recipe you could post in the recipe section??
I think there might be a gardener or two that might like to give pickling a try....

I've always been afraid to try that I'd do something wrong or something...or they wouldn't have the crunch or be too soggy or something... [dunno] [Embarrassed]

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by weezie13 on April 24, 2005 06:05 PM
New Gardener,
Here's an idea I found that's an AWESOME use
of the Wave Patunia's

Wave Patunia Tree
(***In the second paragraph, there's a blue word
here, click on that and it will show you how
they put it together...***)

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by tkhooper on April 24, 2005 06:17 PM
That is a really cool idea. then I would have shade for hosta, peonies and thoses other hosta like flowers you mentioned in another post. Weezie I can't remember the name!!!! Whaaa. And I wouldn't have to fight the bermuda grass for garden space. And it's to big for someone to steal. I like it, I like it, I like it.

-
 -
by connie mounsey on April 25, 2005 02:49 PM
Weezie, I kept telling my hubby that dill will overtake your garden, especially because he is always tilling. So he planted the dill and then put his little peppers in there yesterday. (Gotta have peppers for making those pickles...I will post the recipe in the recipe section. It was easy for me, and it was my first attempt at pickles). I want to put a few flowers in there too, maybe something that butterflies like. My son is still saying "dig the dirt out and we could have a little pool". Kids...we live a block from the nice city pool. Last summer he was so brown!

I LOVE that petunia tree. I will have to show the hubby. I was thinking how much I would miss those petunias this year and this would be a way not to miss them and we have lots of space in our yard yet!

Connie

by new-gardener on April 26, 2005 02:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
New Gardener,
Here's an idea I found that's an AWESOME use
of the Wave Patunia's

Wave Patunia Tree
(***In the second paragraph, there's a blue word
here, click on that and it will show you how
they put it together...***)

Weezie

OH MY GOSH, that is AWESOME!! Thanks for the link!

by Bestofour on April 26, 2005 03:36 AM
I like the idea of putting dill in that tub. It's brilliant!!! I would love to fix pickles. Are you going to post the recipe?

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by weezie13 on April 26, 2005 03:40 AM
Sheri,
Yep, she posted it!!!!
Looks Yummy too!!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by connie mounsey on April 26, 2005 02:25 PM
That was my first attempt at pickles. It was very easy and turned out well. We ended up making several batches of those. We also tried several different recipes and this was the best one out of all of them. All of my whole pickles were horrible! This year I am sure my hubby will come up with some new recipes to try. I keep telling him, just buy them at the grocery store LOL! He even helped though so I guess I can't complain other than the arguements over how to cook pickles!! I had bought some pickling books and he read them all and so he thought he knew it all!!

Connie

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Petunias| Next thread: Petunias »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: