The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Asters

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Aster pinching| Next thread: astilbe problem »
Back to Thread index
by debnoel on September 13, 2006 12:15 AM
I know that mums have to be pinched back when they come back in the spring. I keep pinching them until about the middle of July and they do fine. Do you have to do the same thing to hardy asters? I have never done asters before and they are so pretty I want to make sure I don't kill them by doing the wrong thing in the spring.
by alankhart on September 13, 2006 02:24 AM
If you want your asters to be bushy and flower more, then yes you should pinch them back. There are some cultivars that will get quite tall if you leave them be, which can look nice in the middle or back of the border.

-
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on September 13, 2006 08:11 AM
You have to pinch back mums? I've never touched mine and they are like 3 or more feet tall and just starting to bloom. What do you mean by pinch them back? Cut them down in the spring? I have 6 asters this year, so I'm interested too on how to care for them.

PattyM
by debnoel on September 13, 2006 10:58 AM
When you pinch them back in the spring and early summer, they bet bushy and full. Mine are beginning to bloom now. They are bushy with lots of buds. You don't cut them all the way down, just pinch the tops so they are forced to put energy into producing more plant. I stop pinching in the middle of July so the buds will begin to form. I too am addicted to plants etc. I have to tell myself to "walk away from the bulbs." Last year I picked up a bag here and a bag there and before you know I had over 150 bulbs to plant! I was kicking myself, until spring came and the bulbs came up and bloomed.
by TulsaRose on September 13, 2006 06:31 PM
Patty, another purpose for pinching back Mums is to prevent early blooms. They will start setting buds late spring, early summer and you are faced with letting them bloom on or pinching them back about once a month for a couple of months to allow them to bloom in the fall. Some Mum cultivars get so large and floppy, it's best to keep them pinched back early in their season to insure they are bushier and less gangly. (Is that a word? [Wink] )

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on September 14, 2006 08:51 AM
I've always pinched my mums back until about July 15th to make them fuller and bushier. [Wink] This is the first time I've ever asters, and fortunately, the people at the nursery told me to pinch them back the same way and for the same reason you do it to mums! However, on one of them, I think perhaps I should have pinched it back a little more. [dunno] Well, I'll know better next year! [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by ND farm girl on September 14, 2006 09:26 AM
I'm lost. [dunno]

I haven't pinched my mums - ever, but they are rather large, and my asters - which are new this year, I didn't pinch them either and they are just starting to bloom and are very pretty. Should I pinch them back next spring and see if they look any different - even though I really like them and they look like they are suppose to now?

PattyM
by patches1414 on September 14, 2006 02:02 PM
quote:
Some Mum cultivars get so large and floppy, it's best to keep them pinched back early in their season to insure they are bushier and less gangly. (Is that a word? )
Rosie, I agree with you about the large and floppy mums, [thumb] but I guess it's a matter of personal preference. Yes, gangly is a word [Big Grin] and I use it all the time. It means tall or lanky!

Personally, Patty, I like most of my plants short, compact, and bushy; [Wink] but, I live on a city lot with limited space. [Frown] I guess a lot of my preferences come from necessary so I always bought the ones that were shorter. Patty, you've got lots of space to work with and perhaps the taller mums look better there. [dunno] Besides, I've always lived by the adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Geesh, if you like what you have why change it. [dunno] I don't think you're doing them any harm by letting them grow the way you like them.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by TulsaRose on September 14, 2006 07:01 PM
PattyM, you may never have to pinch back your Mums and Asters to prevent early blooming because your gardening zone is cooler and your bloom season shorter than ours. [Wink] Some of the newer Mum cultivars are just naturally bred to be nice and full without the pinching. It all depends on the type and your zone. Now, have I managed to confuse your further? If so, I consider my work done for the day. [Big Grin]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Aster pinching| Next thread: astilbe problem »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: