The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Can tropical houseplants grow in an outside garden??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by adagiosk8r on April 17, 2005 10:12 PM
I have several beautiful tropical plants that I would love to plant in my garden to enhance the exterior of my house. I am afraid to just do so without some advice from a gardening expert. These plants are gorgeous but getting very big for indoor, I am neurotic about my house ane change my interiors on a regular basis.

Since I am new the Gardening scene, I want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong that could potentionally damage or kill my plants ..

please help me.
by Longy on April 23, 2005 10:55 AM
I'm not sure how cold it gets where you live, but if you get very cold or frosty nights then your plants may require some form of cover. I planted a palm garden years ago and now it is a cover for frost tender understorey plants. This is a long term venture obviously. Perhaps if you build a shadehouse outdoors they would be ok in there. I guess it depends on the individual species and the minimum temps they have to endure. Direct strong sunlight could also be a problem too.
by tkhooper on April 23, 2005 01:20 PM
Maybe if you tell us the species of plants you are intending to move outside? Or if you don't know that put pictures down in Mystery plants so we can help you identify them. Once we have that it's easier to make a decision on weather they can take the move.

One thing I found out recently is that you can't just transplant outside you have to "harden" first. This is a week long process of taking the plant outside for a little longer time period each day. And with the difference in the light between inside and outside in las vegas yes setting them in slightly sunnier locations each day too. Until the reach the maximum amount of light they will tolerate.

I'm still a beginner but I am learning loads here. I still lose most of the plants that I start but not all so it's a big improvement for me.

I can't help thinking tropical = rainforest. I think that is where my problem comes from when I think of moving these plants. That would be way different from a desert.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: