The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lambs Ear

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Lamb's Ear Division/Propagation| Next thread: Lambs ears »
Back to Thread index
by ND farm girl on September 09, 2006 09:54 AM
My son went with me one day to a garden tour this summer and one of his favorite's was the lambs ears. It wasn't blooming at the time. But we absolutely loved touching it! Today at Lowes I got some shrubs and perennials and bulbs and one of the plants was Lambs ears (okay, I bought 2). He got home from school and saw it planted right away.

If it gets touched too much, will it die? [angel]

Absolutely love it! [flower]

I did see a picture of what they look like when they get those tall things (flowers) on them, but I don't like those! I just like the soft leaves. Next year when they grow these goofy things, can I cut them off? [dunno]

PattyM
by Bestofour on September 09, 2006 11:12 AM
You can touch it all you want. I've never cut off the flowers but I'll bet it won't hurt the plant. The bees love it.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by tkhooper on September 09, 2006 07:11 PM
I got some seeds in a recent trade. I'm very excited about having it. I'm wondering if it would do ok in a pot.

-
 -
by netty on September 09, 2006 07:28 PM
It's OK to touch Lamb's Ears...my kids touch it all the time and it's fine. I usually leave one or two blooms and cut the rest off. Lamb's Ear is quite easy to grow from seed. I grow it in my seed bed but I have learned (the hard way!) no to move it when it's too small.

-
 -
by ND farm girl on September 09, 2006 10:44 PM
Brady won't be excited about that - that it is a bee magnet - he's terrified of them! Maybe I will have to cut them off. Thanks!

PattyM
by Bestofour on September 10, 2006 09:02 AM
Patty M, my mother got rid of hers because of the bees. So far I haven't had enough bees to be a bother but I don't have mine in a place that I walk through a lot.

TK, I've never seen it in a pot but I know you're gonna try it. [flower] You'll have to let us know how it works out.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by tkhooper on September 10, 2006 09:14 AM
Hi Sheri,

I promise to let you know how it goes. You know I always right everything down in my journal in garden chat anyway lol.

-
 -
by TulsaRose on September 10, 2006 07:23 PM
Patty, I grow a non-flowering type of Lambs Ear, Stachys byzantina 'Silver Carpet' that could solve the Bee problem. [Wink] Lambs Ear Info

The starter plant was given to me by a friend years ago and I've never seen it in any of the nurseries, big box stores, etc. I only keep it around just for the velvety stroking sensation cuz it's sure a pain in the rear to keep looking nice. Needs lots of attention to picking off the dead leaves. Tends to be a cool season plant here so you should have good luck with it there.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on September 10, 2006 10:39 PM
Oh Rosie - that would be perfect! I'll have to find one. Thanks!

PattyM
by alankhart on September 11, 2006 03:49 AM
Give it plenty of room, too, becasue it likes to spread. I ended up digging mine completely up and tossing it because it was taking over the bed.

-
 -
 -
by amy7467 on September 11, 2006 05:38 AM
My lamb's ear really took over a space and I had to dig a lot of it up and cut it back to keep it in control. I use it as ground cover and cut the flowers off which helps keep it under control too. It loves full sun and thrives during a drought so don't overwater it. If you do, the bottom leaves will get soggy. Just pull those away and it will be fine again.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Lamb's Ear Division/Propagation| Next thread: Lambs ears »
Back to Thread index