The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

poison ivy

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Poinsettias| Next thread: poison ivy, poison oak, poison..... »
Back to Thread index
by loz on April 17, 2004 06:21 AM
okay, I have a big thriving patch of poison....I wanted to get to it last year but couldn't really reach it that well....it's between the chain link fence and my neighbors garage. I'm determined this year because I don't want it coming through the fence onto my plants.....

My question is this.....is there anything I can put on it to kill it without using a chemical? You know something natural that it doesn't like? I'm scared that if I put chemicals on it, they will spread to my clematis.......

It's coming out no matter what, but I'd rather try to get it without harming my plants....
by Chrissy on April 17, 2004 07:30 AM
I have been doing a little research on this one myself, as there is a patch of poisen ivy at the back of our garage that doesn't seem to want to go away. All I have heard online is arguments between those who prefer weed-b-gone or round up & those who say just pull it out by hand. The only other tidbit I found was on another forum from a lady who says she has found a way to battle poisen ivy plants without the use of chems, here is part of her post:

quote:
A very effective way to handle a large area is to simply grow a lawn over it. We cut all the PI down, pulled what we could, brought in three inches of topsoil and grass seed. Once you start mowing it, the grass will win! The occaisional PI shoots will come up...and mow them down (gleefully of course)
If the area you are talking about can't fit a mower, maybe try a weed wacker??? Just a thought [dunno]

-
 -
z5b
by loz on April 17, 2004 07:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestion Chrissy [Smile] , but the area is only about 2 and a half to 3 inches wide.....Looks like I'll have to get the chemicals out I guess.....I can't pull it up by the roots because it is growing kind of under the neighbors garage and then out and up my fence......

That poison is going [Mad] , I don't care what I have to do, but I was hoping to find a better way... [wayey]
by obywan59 on April 17, 2004 09:48 AM
From Rodale Press Great Garden Formulas:

Mix 5 tablespoons rubbing alcohol with 1 quart water and spray poison ivy leaves thoroughly, but lightly.
(spray bottle)

For larger areas (and sprayers) that would be 20 tablespoons or 10 ounces per gallon.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by loz on April 17, 2004 05:48 PM
Wow terry, that sounds great......I'll have to give it a try first...... [thumb]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Poinsettias| Next thread: poison ivy, poison oak, poison..... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: