The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

PUSSY WILLOWS

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: pussy willows| Next thread: Pussy Willows »
Back to Thread index
by Watsana on February 29, 2004 04:10 PM
We have a Pussy Willow bush in our back yard. We have noticed where the new branches have grow, just at the base, small apple like growth has formed. The new growth grows from these applelike growths. What is happening? Is it a problem? What can be done to help? Thanks Peter Westborough MA
by rue anemone on February 29, 2004 04:17 PM
I wonder if it is pussy willow galls?

Do you have a picture?

-
 -
by Jillie on February 29, 2004 04:29 PM
"Galls........
A gall is any unusual growth of plant cells which have been stimulated by chemicals secreted or injected by an insect, mite, nematode or disease agent. As an example, gall wasps insert an egg into developing plant tissues, and at the same time, it injects some chemicals formed in its body. The chemicals stimulate the plant cells into a rapid and abnormal division and growth of plant cells in the immediate vicinity of the egg. The egg, as it hatches and continues developing into a larva that also secretes fluids from its body cells. Thus, the surrounding plant tissue continues to grow abnormally into a characteristically shaped gall. The size, shape, and form of the gall is determined by the gallmaker, and also by the plant it selects. The galls are always identical for each gallmaker, season after season.

There are, in general, two types of galls - open and closed. Open galls are produced by insects with sucking mouthparts and mites. The gall always has a hole, slit or other opening which is tightly sealed when the young insects or mites are developing. However, when the insects or mites mature, the gall dries and the opening is enlarged sufficiently for the pests to escape. Closed galls are produced by gall wasps, and beetles that have chewing mouthparts. Either the larva or the new adult gallmaker chews a hole through the gall tissues in order to exit the gall."

Could they be closed galls?

-
 -
by rue anemone on February 29, 2004 04:32 PM
Now isn`t that interesting:

"The galls are always identical for each gallmaker, season after season."

Like fingerprints!

-
 -
by shamarian on March 01, 2004 02:35 AM
You guys have a lot of gall [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Sorry, had to say it!

I am old, and repotting wont help!
by rue anemone on March 01, 2004 04:57 AM
[Big Grin]

-
 -
by Barb H. on March 05, 2004 05:31 PM
GALL-Y GEE!!!

I'm sooooo sorry...I just couldn't help myself either....it's Friday!!!

Barb H.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: pussy willows| Next thread: Pussy Willows »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: