The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dying yew shrubs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Dying Spider Plant| Next thread: Dynamite Crepe Myrtles »
Back to Thread index
by tabeyer on April 09, 2004 05:55 AM
Help! Last Sept/Oct I planted 15 yew shrubs in a semi shady area. I improved the clay soil with amendments. They seemed to be doing fine until a month or so ago when one turned completely yellow, then another. The rest are begging to turn yellow at the tips. It doesn't appear that they are losing needles though. I live in New Jersey Zone 6. We had a wet and cold winter. Are my plants dead? Is it some sort of insect infestation? Are they just dormant after a tough winter? Help! I don't want to loose them all!
by Jiffymouse on April 09, 2004 06:38 AM
[wayey] hi tabeyer [wayey] i don't have much of an answer for you, but wanted to welcome you. we do have folks who will come around who should know, so keep checking back. i did find out that from Bill, THE GARDEN HELPER, (he was doing some research) that they are suceptible to spidermites which will cause yellowing. i know there are other causes also, but i don't know what they are. i don't grow them due to the toxicity.

anyway, welcome to the garden helper, and hope you enjoy it here. let us know how it works out.
by Buglady on April 14, 2004 06:47 AM
it could be so many things

1. pH not right
2. cold wind damage
3. mites (doubt it)
4. planted to deep
5. mulched too high
6. fertlizer burn

have any photos? dug them up and looked at roots?

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by papito on April 14, 2004 09:46 PM
Even if you amended the clay soil, there is that possibility of poor drainage. Yews don't like their feet wet. Waterclogged soil will cause "Chlorosis" or yellowing of the leaves.

Yews are almost resistant to insect pests and diseases.

Check also Buglady's comments (above).

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by The Plant Doc on April 15, 2004 03:44 AM
I agree with the two above posts, but also want to add a possibility. It could be salt damage.

Not too many bugs bother yews. Spider mites could do some damage but it is the wrong time of the year for them in your area.

Most of the time if there is a problem with a yew, it is cultural for example, planting too deep, or fert burns. Also you may want to check the base of the plants to see if anything has been gnawing away at the bark over the winter, as voles love them!

Mike

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dying Spider Plant| Next thread: Dynamite Crepe Myrtles »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: