The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

My pears

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by ninniwinky on July 31, 2005 09:34 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have a pear tree that is loaded with pears this year, but the problem I am having is when to pick them. They have been on there for Months! and they don't seem to have grown all that much, but they have grown, I picked one yesterday, and the thing is as hard as a ROCK! does anyone know when the usual time of year for picking them is?

Thanks!!

ninni
by obywan59 on July 31, 2005 11:01 PM
European pears should be picked slightly underripe, when the pores on the fruit surface change from white to brown. The pear will be rounded with waxy skin and brown seeds. Let it finish ripening at room temperature. Tree-ripened pears do not have the quality of flavor and texture as those ripened indoors.

Asian pears can be ripened on the tree until they are sweet but still crisp.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by ninniwinky on July 31, 2005 11:40 PM
is there a particular time of year I should shoot for? I have no idea what kind of pear the tree is, my dad planted it 25 years ago. right now they are about 3-4" long and very green.

Thanks,

Ninni
by obywan59 on August 01, 2005 04:25 AM
Generally, fall is when they ripen, although there may be a good deal of variation depending on the variety. You probably have the European pear with the stem end that is narrow and the wider and rounder bottom. Asian pears are shaped like apples.

-
Terry

May the force be with you

Active Garden Forum