The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Battery fence?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Basket| Next thread: Bay Laurel »
Back to Thread index
by Renee on February 26, 2004 03:34 PM
Okay, call me crazy, but I was thinking about putting an electric fence around my new vege garden in the back for deer. It's about 200ft away from the house and probably too close to the woods, but it is the "driest" part of our land and doesn't get flooded for weeks in the spring and fall. I don't want to run an extension cord all the way across the yard. I was thinking why not get some wire, and those ceramic insulators I could screw into the post and run the electricity from a car battery? Has anyone tried this? Would it be enough "juice" to cause them irritation? Thanks in advance.
by Phil and Laura on February 26, 2004 05:20 PM
Renee, I don't know;However, if you haven't already purchased a fencer, go SOLAR, the units are fairly inexpensive and work real good, trust the voice of exp. here, I have used one before and let me tell you, bump into that thing and:  -
by Renee on February 26, 2004 06:56 PM
Thanks Phil, I'll look into those. [grin]
Silly deer, are already walking around in the area I tilled up in the fall. Like they own the place! [Eek!]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Basket| Next thread: Bay Laurel »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: