The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bulb leaves

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: bulb glasses| Next thread: Bulb question »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on August 26, 2006 02:03 AM
I was thinking that I had fertilized for the last time today except for the mums. But now I'm not so sure. My glads, lillies, and a couple of iris' still have green leaves on them. Should I continue to fertilize them until they start to brown?

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 26, 2006 03:43 AM
Hey Tammy...good to "see" you. [Wink] I wouldn't fertilize them...it's time for them to be settling in for their dormant season and fertilizing might promote more new growth. Just my opinion and you know what folks say about opinions. [Big Grin]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by weezie13 on August 26, 2006 06:45 AM
Yep, let them go to sleepie~beepie..
It's time..
They need time to stop greening up and pull back the green into their bulb and store that food *from the green* for next years growth and flower..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Deborah L. on August 26, 2006 02:29 PM
Rosie, you crack me up ! [Big Grin]

-
 -
by tkhooper on August 26, 2006 04:16 PM
Thanks all I wasn't sure.

-
 -
by patches1414 on August 28, 2006 08:10 PM
Tammy, I usually quit fertilizing my perennials around the end of August so that any new growth which may be coming in slows down and has a chance to harden off before winter. [Wink] I'm in the Midwest (zone 5) and since we still get some pretty nice weather in the fall, [flower] I'm afraid if fertilize any later than the end of August it may force some additional new growth that could result in dieback when the weather starts getting gets colder. [Frown] [Frown]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by weezie13 on August 29, 2006 12:59 AM
You're braver than I am Patti!!! [scaredy]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by patches1414 on August 29, 2006 11:21 AM
Huh, I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean Weezie! [Confused] Actually, I'm usually a big chicken, [Big Grin] [Big Grin] so how am I braver? [dunno]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: bulb glasses| Next thread: Bulb question »
Back to Thread index