The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

ivy /eradication

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: ivy| Next thread: Ivy cutting »
Back to Thread index
by hugh on January 18, 2004 07:52 AM
I have a garden over run with ivy - how can I get rid of it without damaging trees around it. Too much to pull by hand -is it possible to rotary hoe it to break up???
by rue anemone on January 18, 2004 04:34 PM
I had ivy growing all around my home. I dug it up with a shovel and by hand to sure I got ever bit of it.

I`m afraid that every bit that is left in the ground has a good chance of rooting. I compost but, I didn`t put it in my compost for that same reason.

-
 -
by papito on January 18, 2004 08:08 PM
Hugh, Welcome to the TGH Forum.

To remove english ivy (same procedure for algerian ivy) growing as a ground cover, it has to be mowed as close to the ground as possible, with a heavy duty mower...then dig up the roots, removing as many as possible. Ivy is deep rooted...you should expect regrowth from those missed. Once the area is clear, cover with a double layer of landscape fabric or black plastic...I prefer using heavy tarp. How long do you keep the cover? Depending on the material...up to a full season.

To remove ivy growing vertically, cut & pull it down by sections...then dig out the roots, repeating until they stop sprouting.

Chemical treatment: Use systemic herbicide... it is absorbed into plant tissues and carried to the roots effectively killing the entire plant.

NOTE: When using any type of Pesticide: Follow manufacturers instructions on proper applications and disposals.

Hope this helps.

Papito

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Barb H. on January 26, 2004 04:34 PM
Hi, guys!

I have a problem with ivy too...and pachyrasandra. I've pulled a lot of it, mostly off my stone wall, etc.

If I do the heavy tarp to try to kill it, can I put mulch over it all, so that my front yard looks a little better in the process?

Also, after mowing can I roto-till and then try to rake up as much vines as I can, or just tarp it? I'm talking about the ivy under my tree.

Thanks!

-
by papito on January 27, 2004 05:38 PM
Barb H., Welcome to the TGH Forum.

Yes, roto-tilling and raking the vines are good ideas. Dump them in the trash can. Do not put them in compost pile.

A 2" to 3" of mulch over the tarp or fabric will deprive the ivy of direct sunlight and moisture. Mulch up to 12" away from the trunk of the tree.

Japanese Spurge (Pachysandra terminalis), although not as invasive as the ivy, could be removed using the method described above.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Barb H. on January 27, 2004 08:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by papito:
Barb H., Welcome to the TGH Forum.

Yes, roto-tilling and raking the vines are good ideas. Dump them in the trash can. Do not put them in compost pile.

A 2" to 3" of mulch over the tarp or fabric will deprive the ivy of direct sunlight and moisture. Mulch up to 12" away from the trunk of the tree.

Japanese Spurge (Pachysandra terminalis), although not as invasive as the ivy, could be removed using the method described above.

Thanks, Papito!!!

Now I have a plan of attack! I have been so at a loss as to how to handle it, that I just left it for this year!

Just one more question, if I may?? The ivy I want to remove is around an old maple tree. What if I mow and rake and try to dig as much as I can all up....what if around the tree needed to be regraded with dirt...can I just pile the dirt on it and it will kill the ivy? The previous owners put a stone retaining ring around the tree and it is in need of repair....however there is a big DIP, if you know what I mean and it needs to be filled....and it will need a heck of a lot of dirt....like a truckload....plus I need to regrade around my house and in some other areas.

I guess, bottom line, would it work to fill it in with a lot of dirt and forget the tarp?

Thanks a lot!
Barb H.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: ivy| Next thread: Ivy cutting »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: