The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

HELP!!! DID I KILL MY HARDY HIBISCUS

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Help!!! Annuals?!?| Next thread: HELP!!! Frost is coming »
Back to Thread index
by Ronda on August 25, 2006 11:59 PM
I am the worst flower gardener in the world!!!But every year I try to grow flowers. I planted a Hardy Hibiscus, the leaves were huge and I could see some blooms starting. I had one problem, Japanese Beetles! They were eating the leaves like crazy. I read that the beetles do not like the taste of soap so I mixed Dawn and water together in a spray bottle and sprayed the plant with the soap mixture on Wed evening. When I came home from work on Thurs. the leaves were brown and dried up! Did I kill my plant?!
 -
 -
 -
I added some pictures, I hope I did it right!
THANK YOU FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!
Ronda

Ronda
by TulsaRose on August 26, 2006 01:01 AM
Ronda, I doubt that you have killed your Hibiscus but you will probably lose most of the leaves. Some plants just don't do all that well after being sprayed with the soap mix, especially if they are in full sun. I learned that the hard way. Now when and if I use it, I rinse it off in about an hour or two. You might have been better off just hand picking the beetles and destroying them underfoot. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Ronda on August 26, 2006 11:48 AM
Rosie,
Thank You for your reply! When I came home this evening the blooms (look at the 1st picture of my original e-mail) are even darker!

Do you really think it will be okay?

Thanks Again!

Ronda

Ronda
by TulsaRose on August 26, 2006 12:07 PM
Ronda, I think the root stock portion of the plant will be fine. Have your given the Hibiscus a good shower to wash off any remaining soap spray? You'll start seeing new leaves but the buds may all drop for any flowers that were about to bloom. Also, if it is in full sun, you might move temporarily to a shaded area to let it rest and get over its shock. I'm wondering, too, if it will make it through winter there in a container???

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on August 26, 2006 12:27 PM
Rhonda, I don't think you've killed your Hibiscus either, [Wink] but I'd have to agree with Rosie about it not surviving the winter in a pot! [Frown] What zone are you in? [dunno]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Ronda on August 26, 2006 01:04 PM
Rosie and Patti,
Hi!
Thank you for your reply!
I am in zone 5. I thought the Hibiscus would do fine in the winter (zone 5) and I thought it was a good container plant. I got a good deal on 4 half barrels. I did a lot of research before I planted. I planted the Hardy Hibiscus and some miniature roses in the other barrels. Was I wrong about the Hibiscus doing well in the barrels and in zone 5?

Thanks Again!
Ronda

Ronda
by Ronda on August 26, 2006 01:07 PM
Rosie,
PS
Yes, I gave them a good shower this evening when I got home. I do not know if I can move that barrel. It will be sooo heavy w/ the soil in it : (

Ronda

Ronda
by patches1414 on August 26, 2006 04:23 PM
Actually, Rhonda, I'm in zone 5 too and I would not trust keeping my Hibiscus in a pot over the winter. [Frown] It seems that pots just do not afford the same kind of protection as the ground does. [Roll Eyes] Personally, I wouldn't do it! [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by ND farm girl on August 26, 2006 04:39 PM
Patches - so if we are in zone 5 or even 4, Hibiscus should be in the ground and should they be covered with anything during the winter?

PattyM
by patches1414 on August 26, 2006 05:22 PM
ND, not ALL hardy Hibiscus are going to be hardy down to zone 4 because it will depend on what variety they are. [critic] My 'Kopper King' is hardy to zone 4, but my 'Lady Baltimore' and my 'Blue River II' are only hardy to zone 5. [Wink] All my Hibiscus are planted in the ground and I mulch them well in the winter to prevent root injury, but I also mulch them in the summer to help with water retention. [Wink]

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 26, 2006 10:22 PM
One thing could be to your advantage if you intend to leave the Hibiscus in the container is where it is sitting near the house. If that is a south facing location, you'll have a lil' "micro-climate" that could be considered z5 or z6. That may be enough protection to get you over the winter hump. There are also container blankets you can wrap around the barrel to give added insulation. Throw in a few inches of mulch and you may be OK. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Ronda on August 26, 2006 11:10 PM
Thank you all very much for your help. I will either try to move the barrel or insulate this winter. Thanks again! Have a great weekend!

Ronda

Ronda
by Ronda on September 25, 2006 12:54 AM
[wavey]
To everyone who responded to my Hibiscus problem,

I just wanted to update everyone and share a picture. I replanted the Hibiscus. I took the Hibiscus out of the Half wooden wine barrel and planted it into the ground. It seems to be doing okay!

Thanks again for the help!
[Love]
Ronda
 -

Ronda
by tkhooper on September 25, 2006 01:10 AM
I'm so pleased that your hybiscus survived. Congratulations with your gardening victory. I know I still celebrate each and every one I have. I've been gardening about 18 months and each plant still seems like a miracle to me.

-
 -
by Ronda on September 26, 2006 05:24 AM
tk,
Thank You!

Ronda

Ronda

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help!!! Annuals?!?| Next thread: HELP!!! Frost is coming »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: