The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Day Lily roots

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Day Lilly Demise| Next thread: day neutral strawberries »
Back to Thread index
by hdsporty97 on April 19, 2004 10:32 PM
Last year I bought some day lilies that were SUPPOSED to be purple but they didn't quite turn out that way! When they bloomed, they were the ugliest brownish orange flower that I've ever seen. This past weekend I dug them out but I think I left a lot of the roots behind. They were planted in rocks witht he landscaping cloth underneath so I didn't have a lot of room to dig around in. My delimma is....how do I kill off those roots to make sure they don't come back up? I should have used round up (I know, I know, swear words to some of you out there!) on them before I dug up what I did of them. R-up will not work on the root; there has to be an above ground plant to carry it down into the root. I have so Penny's Worth lilies to put in there. My landscaping colors are purple and yellow. HELP!

-
Life isn't a box of chocolates...It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today migth burn your @$$ tomorrow!
by Marianne on April 20, 2004 05:13 PM
Hi Hdsporty97

I need to send you some real purple daylilies. The roundup will do it. The only thing is you will need to wait before planting anything back. Read the label on how long to wait. Or you can always finish pulling them out when they start to come back up.
by hdsporty97 on April 20, 2004 08:58 PM
I asked our agronimist and he said to wait until they start to come back and then put roundup on them. After round up has been applied, you can plant right back there right away! Thanks for your advice!

-
Life isn't a box of chocolates...It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today migth burn your @$$ tomorrow!
by hdsporty97 on April 21, 2004 12:17 AM
Marianne~what kind are your purple day lilies? I have looked high and low and they usually turn out red or some other color.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Day Lilly Demise| Next thread: day neutral strawberries »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: