The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Invasive Bamboo Problem!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Interplanting| Next thread: Invasive plants »
Back to Thread index
by Merme on November 01, 2004 01:45 AM
Many years ago someone planted a large amount of Bamboo in the flower beds along the front and east side of my house. When the new owner bought it two years ago, he dug it all up and then I planted the beds with things I hoped would do well. They did ok, but the bamboo came back. So the owner dug it all up again, even the perennials I'd put in. It came back anyway! Now we are trying to brainstorm about how to get completely rid of the bamboo and what to plant to reclaim that important garden space in the front. Any suggestions?

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by Jiffymouse on November 01, 2004 02:03 AM
merme, this is what i know about bamboo and how to deal with it.

first of all, if you don't get all the roots (rhizomes) you will have it come back. every time.

second, if you want some of it, but not all of it, you have to dig a physical barrier around where it is. what i have seen suggested is to use commercial grade plastic or some kind of metal (corrigated tin?) to form a "trench" to grow it in. the trench should be at least 18" underground and 2-3" above ground as the roots can "jump" the barrier if not that deep/tall.

using the two principals listed above, what i would do is dig it up as best you can, then when you see the first shoots of it coming back, dig around them and put in a physical barrier. then, use roundup or some other systemic herbicide to kill the shoots at they emerge. by using the barrier, you will prevent the roots from spreading while the poison is working.

also, another note - bamboo is by nature a water loving plant, so if you choose to start killing it, make sure you don't water it!
by papito on November 01, 2004 09:17 AM
I agree with Jiffymouse's approach in controlling the bamboos.

Check this link also

http://www.bamboos.com/FAQ.html

and from the same article:

quote:
How do I control a running bamboo?

Bamboos will not grow into water or under a well-traveled road. A pond a creek will stop them. They grow into a woods very slowly. Here in New England we have outcroppings of stone they can't cross.
Or, you might want to establish a large grove and let them roam at will. If you can use the natural features of your site no further maintenance is needed. But who of us is so fortunate? Lacking natural landscape features some other control is required.The fact is whatever control method you choose some maintenance is necessary.

You can mow the new growth every spring. When they first come up they are fragile and brittle, easily cut. This requires that you establish a mowing strip about twenty feet wide around your bamboo. A narrow strip will not work. Those rhizomes (the underground stems by which they spread) will extend beyond a narrow strip and come up in the most unexpected places. If you choose the mower method you will see that they come up every spring - but they'll stay within the boundary you set.
Another popular technique is to put a physical barrier in the ground. You will have to use a material that is strong and will not deteriorate and that goes down about 36". High density polyethylene or high density polypropylene 40-60 mil. is commonly use. A vinyl carpet runner from Home Depot won't work. The rhizomes will penetrate it. Install the barrier so that the top is tilted away from the bamboo and be certain that 3-4 inches of the barrier is above ground. If it is not above ground the rhizomes can go hop over it. Not a pretty sight and difficult to install. I know a nursery that swears by the barrier material they sell - and this is the third material they swear by!
The method I favor requires that you dig a ditch 12" deep and about 4" wide, wide enough to get a tool in where you want to establish the boundary for the bamboo. The purpose of the ditch is to find the rhizomes as they grow out from the grove. In order for the bamboo to spread the rhizome will have to cross the ditch. When you find one crossing the ditch cut it and if it has crossed completely pull up the rhizome on the far side of the ditch. This is an effective containment method. It works if you do it each year. The rhizomes grow in the late summer and early fall. So attend to this maintenance late each growing season. It is not necessary to keep an open ditch - you can fill it with mulch and find the rhizomes by running a stick through the ditch.

I don't have bamboo now in the present location because of limited space; but If I have bamboo grove, that would be a very nice source of plant stakes. Bamboo stakes last much longer than wooden stakes specially when exposed to the elements.

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Interplanting| Next thread: Invasive plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: