The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Taking care of Japanese silver grass

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by chilady on August 19, 2006 05:23 AM
HI group, I am having problems with my Japanese silver grass. I bought it, and planted it as soon as I could. But I didn't water it like it said you should when you plant it. (water the whole you are putting it into, then plant the plant and water again.) Well I planted them, and then waited until morning to water them. Thinking that you didn't want to have the plants get mildew on them. Any ways I watered them the next day, and have been watering them about every other day. The problem I am having is I don't know if I am over or under watering them. But they are not doing well at all. I have clay for the soil. And I dug up a whole and put in potting soil (miracle grow) and lined the whole with it. Then put the plant in, and put more potting soil on top. Then filled in what was left with clay. Ran out of potting soil, so couldn't layer the top half with all potting soil. I think the clay isn't allowing the water to seep into the roots. So what should I do now?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/frawri/b7231077.jpg
by johnCT on August 19, 2006 06:23 AM
I am more inclined to believe that the hole you dug in the clay to plant the plant is holding all of the water like a bucket and causing chlorosis. What does the plant look like? You said it's not doing well.

John - Zone 6
by alankhart on August 19, 2006 07:31 AM
Potting soil isn't recommended for in-ground planting, just pots, because it doesn't contain soil at all...it's a mixture of perlite, etc. By lining the hole with potting soil the water will run thru the potting soil and when it hits the clay it will well up because clay doesn't absorb water as fast, and the plant will have "wet feet" which may cause it to rot. When working with clay it's best to add organic material like compost. You should dig a hole at least twice as large as the pot it was in and mix compost with the clay soil and plant in that mixture.
Check the roots of the grass...are they brown and mushy or white and healthy? Brown, mushy roots are a sign of too much water.

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: