The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Anyone have a picture of a full hibiscus?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by ND farm girl on August 18, 2006 03:31 PM
I have 4 of these I am planting this fall, but I would like to see what they look like, not just a close up of a flower. Anyone?

http://springhillnursery.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_65352

PattyM
by patches1414 on August 18, 2006 04:15 PM
ND, I have several hardy Hibiscus! I couldn't get your link to work, so what kind are you planting?

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by ND farm girl on August 18, 2006 04:33 PM
Thanks Patches. How do you like them?

Hardy Hibiscus Collection

These versatile plants can be used for groupings, masses, shrub borders or even specimen plantings. Growing 6-10' tall, hardy hibiscus ask only for full sun to partial shade conditions and will tolerate almost any well-drained soil — even sandy soil! And when it comes to heat, they can take whatever Mother Nature dishes out.

You’ll receive three incredibly hardy hibiscus - lovely lavender-violet Minerva, glistening white and burgundy Helene, and alluring dark-pink Aphrodite.

Each one is carefully grown in a top-quality 4" pot, then specially selected at proper fall planting time by the experts at Spring Hill just for our preferred customers.

Plus Your FREE Gift! You’ll also receive a rare Freedom hibiscus

PattyM
by patches1414 on August 18, 2006 05:03 PM
quote:
Hardy Hibiscus Collection

ND, I couldn't see your Hardy Hibiscus Collecton because the link wouldn't work for me. I've been having a lot of problems with my computer lately and keep getting kicked off the Garden Helper when I try to click on things (the smilies, edit button, and sometimes even, add reply etc.). I'm sure there is nothing wrong with your link, it's just my computer.

I have the four different hardy Hibiscus; Kopper King, Lady Baltimore, a red one that I don't know the name of, and a white one which I'm trying to get identified. I love Hibiscus and would plant more of them if I had the room!

By the way, was it you who started a thread about your favorite garden tool? I tried to respond to it the other night and when I hit reply I got kicked off and my response didn't post. Now, I can't find the thread. Can you tell me where it is? Thanks!!!

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by ND farm girl on August 18, 2006 11:23 PM
It is in Helpful Hints.

I can't wait to try the hibiscus!

PattyM
by TulsaRose on August 18, 2006 11:26 PM
Patty, here is a picture of a dinner-plate Hardy Hibiscus I snagged at the Seeds of Life website...
these are Hibiscus moscheutos .

-

The picture at Springhill is of Rose of Sharon ( Hibiscus syriacus ) which have much smaller blooms although they are gorgeous shrubs.

I have over twenty Rose of Sharon in various colors and would have more if I had the room. [Wink] They are so tough and hardy...require very little care other than an occasional pruning. Thrive in full sun, part sun, part shade...they aren't picky.

I've had miserable luck here in Okieville with the Hibiscus moscheutos and this past winter lost both my red and white\red eye. I don't know if it was the drought conditions, not enough mulch, etc. but they were several years old and had bloomed profusely in the past...huge blossoms that last one day. Luckily, I have seeds saved from the white\red eye and will winter-sow them.

I wanted to point out the difference in the two varieties in case you didn't know and might be disappointed in the plants you receive.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on August 19, 2006 01:02 AM
Which ones are the ones that look like a little tree?

Gorgeous picture! Anymore? Anyone?

PattyM
by plants 'n pots on August 19, 2006 02:29 AM
Interesting that they are not calling them Rose of Sharons, as that's exactly what the picture looks like.

I have 2 Rose of Sharon bushes - have had 1 for 4 1/2 years now that is probably about 6 feet tall - it has white flowers with dark pink centers. The other one I prune each year so it doesn't get too tall or wide - it has medium pink flowers with darker reddish centers. I will try and take a few pictures in a bit, though my camera doesn't like to take clear shots on hazy days like today. [Razz]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by TulsaRose on August 19, 2006 04:32 AM
Patty, I have "pruned up" several of the Rose of Sharon to tree form while leaving others more bushy at the bottom. I usually let them grow for several years to determine their natural shape before I cut off the lower limbs. Here is a not-so-hot picture of a double Rose of Sharon Althea that I've kept pruned up for about ten years. Next spring, I plan to take off a few more of the lower limbs to provide a little additional sun to that bed.
 -

And here is one that has been allowed to "bush."
 -

I apologize for the quality of these pix. I think the photographer needed more coffee. [Wink]

Hibiscus tiliaceus is type of tree with a different flower than we've discussed so far. See details here... Tree Form

I'm sure with a little Googling, you could probably turn up more. My eyes are too tired to look at more right now. [Smile]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by ND farm girl on August 19, 2006 05:07 AM
Thanks for the help and the pictures! I'm excited to try these - I've never seen anyone with these around here - not even on the garden tour this summer!

PattyM
by plants 'n pots on August 19, 2006 05:35 AM
ND - be careful with these bushes - I've posted pictures of the numerous babies that I have sprouting in my grass. Here is link to the other discussion on ROS that we've had here this summer.

ROS seedlings

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: