The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help with grow lights

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Mocha260 on August 18, 2006 02:34 PM
Hello,
I am writing to request help for grow lights. I have some plants that I started this year from seeds. I was afraid the neighborhood bully (rabbit) would eat them if I planted them in the yard this year. I am going to attempt to grow them inside with "grow lights". Will florescent lights work or do I need to purchase the expensive metal halide lights? I have one grow light that I am using for my new seeds. I am contemplating purchasing another light but I want to make sure I have what I need before the first frost hits. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!
by comfrey on August 18, 2006 03:22 PM
Regular florescent lights will work fine. Alot of us here just use the cheap shop lights for our growing needs. We have talked about this alot on here, so you might do a search of the forum and see if you can find some usful info about it. I do know you can get better results if you use one cool and one warm tube in each fixture. What kind of plants are you growing...some may require being closer to the lights then others.

-
 -
by Patty S on August 18, 2006 06:14 PM
Mocha, I use the full spectrum grow light tubes in my florescent fixtures, because regular florescent lights just didn't cut it. (Plants got spindly pretty fast.) The full spectrum lights didn't really cost that much more than the regular tubes, & I thought my plants were a lot happier with it.

What kinds of plants are you planning to grow indoors?

-
 -
by Mocha260 on August 21, 2006 12:52 PM
Thanks! I am growing wand flowers, caladiums, an african tree, blue delphiums and cannas. I have other seeds that I haven't started yet. I want to wait to see how these do first. Wish me luck!
by Mocha260 on August 21, 2006 12:56 PM
Oh, earlier in the year I started foxglove (my favorite this far), chinese lanterns, clematis and blanket flowers. Those are the plants I was worried about being eaten by the neighborhood bullies. LoL
by Mocha260 on August 22, 2006 06:51 AM
I would like to try to grow Hibiscus, Rose of Sharon and hostas inside as well.

Active Garden Forum