The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Companion plants for asiatic lilies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by netwiz on August 17, 2006 03:58 PM
I am creating a round island bed for asiatic lilies and want a way to hide the ugly stems after they bloom. Does anyone have any suggestions for good companion plants? I'm hoping to find something that will hide the stems and bloom after the lilies are done. Thanks!

Joanne
by cinta on August 17, 2006 05:41 PM
I have daylilies, iris and galardia in my bulb garden.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by patches1414 on August 17, 2006 08:30 PM
I use a lot of Shasta daisies and lavender, but sometimes I will add different annuals to help hide the unsightly stems!

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by netwiz on August 18, 2006 02:29 AM
Cinta, I've been wondering what to do with my excess daylilies. Great idea!

Patches, I just happen to have the seeds for winter sowing shasta daisies and lavender. Sounds like a great combination, thanks!

Joanne
by patches1414 on August 20, 2006 09:39 AM
Joanne, here is a picture of some of my Shasta Daises which were planted in front of my Asiatic Lilies. You can still see one of the stems on the left next to the fence, but when the Lilies were blooming they went along the back of the fence from that stem to the Coneflowers.

-

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by Triss on August 20, 2006 09:48 AM
This year I grew cleome. Mine are about 3 feet tall which would hide the lily stems and are such a full and pretty plant. They have been in bloom for several weeks now and are a really neat plant. Planning on putting them in my bulb garden next year to hide away the stems as well.

-

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by TulsaRose on August 21, 2006 12:53 AM
Joanne, one of my favorites is Mexican Petunia although some people hate them. [Wink] I have the purple flower type and there is also a pink one. The foliage is very attractive and the flowers are gorgeous. They start blooming in May and keep on keepin' on until hard freeze. They do well in sun or shade, aren't fussy about water needs and rarely have bug or disease problems. My kinda plant!!! [Big Grin]
 -

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by netwiz on August 21, 2006 03:10 AM
I have so many to choose from now! The cleome and Mexican Petunia pictures are both beautiful. Patches, the shasta daisy really do look great as well. I think I will try a clump each of shasta daisy, lavender, cleome, Mexican Petunia and day lilies and see which ones mix together the best. I might also throw in some catmint since I have a bunch of seeds. Thanks for all of the great ideas!

Joanne
by patches1414 on August 21, 2006 07:34 AM
Joanne, I used to have catmint in one of my beds. Personally, I didn't find it that attractive and it spread much more than I expected so it was crowding out some of my other plants. Plus, the neighborhoods cats found it very appealing, so I took it out. It must have some of the same properties as catnip. This is only my opinion, so I'm hoping other people can offer their input on it.

-
 -
by netwiz on August 21, 2006 08:08 AM
Thanks for the warning Patches. We have 3 cats and I don't want them rolling around in my garden. I also want to stay away from invasive plants. I have enough stuff I'm battling to get rid of without adding more!

Joanne
by joclyn on August 21, 2006 08:24 AM
the mexican petunia is fantabulous!!! i've got to get some [Cool]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: