The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Nectarine tree

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: NE1 Started seeds yet??| Next thread: Nectarine Tree question. »
Back to Thread index
by AlEf on July 01, 2005 05:06 AM
Hi, everybody!

Planted Snow Queen white nectarine tree last Spring. Last Autumn, the onion bud started to excrete clear liquid. We are using tar spray to seal it, but so far no success was achieved - it still leaks occasionally. Other than that, the tree seems to be developing pretty peachy (pun intended). [Smile]

Is there a remedy to that clear liquid problem, or should we stop worrying and start living?
by LMT on July 01, 2005 07:12 AM
You'll have to give a little more. Onion bud? Clear liquid? Nectarine?

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.
by AlEf on July 05, 2005 10:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by LMT:
You'll have to give a little more. Onion bud? Clear liquid? Nectarine?
I am not quite sure I understand what exact details I am asked for. [Smile]

Onion bud is a part of a trunk that sticks from the soil (about 6 inches high), and the trunk thins and curves a bit above it.

Clear liquid... well, it's rather jelly-like substance. And it's clear.

Nectarine... this one puzzles me the most. The tree is planted last year, and it's about 4 feet high now. That's all the information I know.
by LMT on July 06, 2005 12:15 AM
I have an interest in the topic since I planted a Nectarine last spring.

The problem I'm having is that I can't find an article to links onion bud to Nectarine.

Is there a saw dust like substance in the clear goo? Peachtree Borer?

There is a bud union, "Keep the bud union 1 inch above the soil", that is found under Site Selection, Soil Preparation, and Planting .

My guess is a borer. They suggest poking a metal wire into the wound in the fall to kill it.

I have an accidental companion plant, White Ash Tree. The buds have a sticky substance which prevents the leaves from emerging until it is chewed off by ants (an enemy to the borer). The downside is ant colonies in the yard.

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.
by Meg on July 06, 2005 12:29 AM
I was thinking the same thing, a borer. I have a peachtree that I got last year, and it got a borer problem, I didn't know about it. I noticed this clear gooey stuff coming out near the bottom of the tree. Some reserch showed it was a peachtree borer. I didn't go in with a wire to kill it.. I couldn't see where to poke. But I did use some dormant oil on it, and I also got some stuff to use this year that will hopefully prevent it from getting them again. Umm.. I forget what it was.. but it was something from Garden's Alive, I'm pretty sure.

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by AlEf on July 06, 2005 06:39 AM
There's no sawdust-like substnace in the clear goo. The jellylike stuff is coming out of several spots on the trunk, near the potential branch stubs. The tree is small and the trunk is only about two centimeters thick. If there were a borer in such a small tree, the tree would probably dead by now. It doesn't seem like dying, though.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: NE1 Started seeds yet??| Next thread: Nectarine Tree question. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: