The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

transplanting peonies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by weakley63 on August 10, 2006 02:45 AM
If my peonies are mostly dried up, can I go ahead and transplant them? They are very old plants and some are under a big sugar maple. Those don't grow but about 5 or 6 inches tall, and are very thin and never bloom. Once they dry up they are hard to find. (That's how thin they are.) The others are in full sun and nice healthy plants, but are also drying up well. Can I move them now, or best to wait? If I have to wait, how long? thanks in advance for the help.
by johnCT on August 10, 2006 03:08 AM
It sure sounds like they don't like their location, but it would still be best to wait til fall to move them.

John - Zone 6
by afgreyparrot on August 10, 2006 03:08 AM
I don't know what the "rule" is for moving peonies...
...but since I like to break all the rules, anyway, I move peonies any time I feel like it.

Here's the info Bill has on Peonies.
Peonies
...a lot of good info!
I just learned stuff when I read this link! [Embarrassed] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by plantqueen on August 10, 2006 07:35 AM
Very good info on that link! Thanks afgrey!

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by chilady on August 11, 2006 04:05 AM
I have moved into a country home, that had flowers planted all over the yard. I didn't know what half of them were until they bloomed. I found a Peony bush, and it bloomed out well. But since I don't have a clue as to how to take care of them, I have left them to grow on their own. They have gotten these seed packets that have dried up. But are still on the plant. Do you cut them out of there? Like I said I don't know much about this plant. Other then I loved the flowers. What can I do to help this plant?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/frawri/b7231077.jpg
by patches1414 on August 11, 2006 12:55 PM
I'm in zone 5, and I cut my peonies back after the first good frost and remove and destroy the stems. I usually cut them down to about 3 inches from the soil surface to prevent them from fungal diseases developing over the winter.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by TulsaRose on August 11, 2006 11:43 PM
quote:
They have gotten these seed packets that have dried up. But are still on the plant. Do you cut them out of there?
Chilady, unless you plan to use the seeds or give them away, it's best to deadhead spent blooms to prevent seeds forming. I cut the flower stem all the way back to a good set of leaves, and sometimes trim a few errant stems to give the bush a nice, round shape.

Then just let the Peony alone until fall and do as Patti said about cutting them down after first freeze. Depending on your zone, you may not even need to mulch them overwinter. They are a tough, reliable plant!

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by weakley63 on August 12, 2006 09:46 AM
Thanks everyone! That link to Bill's info. was very helpful afgrey. Guess I'll try to wait a few more weeks before I do anything with my plants.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: