The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Searching for water garden info

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: searching for recipe| Next thread: Seashell cosmos »
Back to Thread index
by blueyz75 on July 12, 2004 04:06 AM
Hello. I am not new to gardening but to water gardening I am. I just put a pond in the back yard after collecting parts for the past two summers now I'm trying to learn as much as I can so that next time I put one in it can be much bigger [Smile] I don't have any hobbies that are cheap. I didn't see a forum for that type of gardening so thought I'd ask if you knew of a good site with one or can direct to a knowledgable person or volunteer your brain to be picked if its you.

Thanks.

Work like you don't need the money, dance like no one is watching, and love like you've never been hurt.
by gardenmom32210 on July 12, 2004 04:13 AM
If you do a forum search and type ponds in for the keyword,34 matching articles come up. I'm not sure just what you are looking for,so you might want to try that.

Karen [grin]
by afgreyparrot on July 12, 2004 03:44 PM
Well, I don't have a brain for you to pick, so I'll just welcome you to the forum! Many people here DO have brains, though, so you will get some answers to your questions.

Nice to meet you!

Cindy  -

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Jiffymouse on July 12, 2004 04:16 PM
[wayey] hi blueyz [wayey] welcome to the garden helper. mostly our water garden stuff is under landscaping, and that is where i am going to move your post. that way, you will get the attention of the folks who know!
by blueyz75 on July 12, 2004 04:49 PM
Thanks guys the kind of questions I have right now have to do with making a biological filter BEFORE fish start eating and also repotting plants as mine are still in the store bought containers.

Work like you don't need the money, dance like no one is watching, and love like you've never been hurt.
by Gardencrazy on July 14, 2004 06:37 AM
Welcome!
I'll do my best to help.
How big is your pond? What kind of fish? How many fish? Do you have a filter already? Is your pond a pre-form or liner?
What kind of plants do you have?
Gardencrazy [flower]

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket
by blueyz75 on July 18, 2004 05:13 PM
~ 350 gallons
Preform b/c I wanted to get it done in reasonable amount of time, and given that its my first pond, I am glad I did b/c this way I can learn
I have 5 fish. One is a little goldfish (bout 1 inch), one is a black moore (same size), two are about 4-6 inch Koi, or at least they said they were at the store but they don't have the barbs, and one 6-8 inch Koi that I know is a koi.
I have one double chamber prefilter on right now it goes thru that before the pump and will have a biological filter of my own making (after reading and researching) up at the top.
I have 5 plants had 6 till one dog decided to attach the other across the pond fell in and knocked it over. One is a black eyed susan from the yard, one is a four leaf clover plant, one looks like minature equisetum, and I'd have to look at tages for the other.

Kel

by LateShift on July 19, 2004 09:04 AM
Hi! I'm a fairly new gardener, but ponds are a little more in my wheelhouse. I think I have a link you might enjoy, if you are trying to set up a bio filter of your own making. This site has a ton of general info, and you can change the plans to suit your needs. Do a bit of searching around here, it can also answer a lot of general pond questions. Hope this helps. Skippystuff (build your own biological filter)
by Gardencrazy on July 19, 2004 11:19 PM
Sounds like you have a good start. The link for the Skippy in the above post is a good one. I have read several opinions to have a prefilter for the Skippy too. It seems research is a must but I think ponding can actually be done on a cheaper note if you do a lot of research. If you plan on having a heavier fish load you will need a bigger filter to handle the fish or your water will stay green.

Here are some links that may help in your journey!
Misterpond technical info

gardenendeavors
This link has a fish load calculator.

You might consider getting a waterlily or 2 if you don't have them already. They help shade the water to also inhibit an algea bloom.

If you have any questions feel free to email or pm me.
Gardencrazy

[flower]

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket
by blueyz75 on July 21, 2004 05:47 AM
Got em all bookmarked now. I like the fish load calculator....I could go out and get more fish! [Smile] hehe...well maybe if one grabs me sometime at the store.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: searching for recipe| Next thread: Seashell cosmos »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: