The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Planting with uprooted grass mixed in soil?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Planting winter shrubs| Next thread: PLANTS »
Back to Thread index
by daylily77 on August 05, 2006 02:58 PM
Hi everyone. I planted some grass seed before changing my mind and realizing I wanted to make a flower bed there instead. I started digging up all the new little rooted grass about 6 days ago. I kept forking and digging through it every day for 3 days. Then I laid down weighed down cardboard for 3 more days.

I pulled the cardboard up today and the grass that I forked all through is still green, but still loose all through the soil (it doesn't seem to be re-rooting or anything). Do you think it will be safe for me to plant now? Or can the grass grow back even though it's all been uprooted and mixed all in the soil? I really don't want to do the thing where I leave the cardboard/newspaper down and plant. Any other ideas to insure that this grass won't come back are very appreciated! Thanks! [kitty]
by tkhooper on August 05, 2006 10:35 PM
I don't think your going to be able to do it the way you want to. Grass is very very hardy. It will find a way to the light unless you kill it.

You could remove that soil to somewhere you do want grass and then put down new soil there to plant in I guess.

-
 -
by gardenfairy on August 06, 2006 01:58 PM
I agree with tkhooper, I would dig up the soil and redeposit it somewhere else and place new soil where you want to plant. If not, you will probably be battling the grass in that spot from now on.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by Bestofour on August 06, 2006 02:04 PM
Can you spray the area with Roundup first?

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Planting winter shrubs| Next thread: PLANTS »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: