The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bulbs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: bulbs| Next thread: Bulbs »
Back to Thread index
by chermoni on August 05, 2006 08:28 AM
We are having a fund raiser at work selling bulbs from dutch gardens. I was wondering if anyone had ever bought from them before and if so how good are they. I know they advertise that their bulbs are bigger and supposedly better than most. This will be my first year planting bulbs and I would really like to have nice looking flowers in the spring. Also, someone told me that squirrels love to eat tulip bulbs. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening?

-
 -

Cheryl's Photobucket
My journal

Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.
by TulsaRose on August 05, 2006 09:37 AM
I've been very happy with several orders from Dutch Gardens, chermoni. Their bulbs are very nice size and healthy and their perennials are great!

Some gardeners cover their Tulip bulbs with chicken wire. The plants can grow up through the wire but the squirrels can't get to the bulbs. I've never tried it as they seem to leave my Tulips alone but they got all my Daffodils. [Big Grin]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by joclyn on August 06, 2006 06:24 AM
yes, squirrels like tulips. i've used the chicken wire successfully. i've also heard you can put down a layer of crushed shells (clam or oyster) and that will deter the squirrels too. i've never tried the shells and don't know if they work or not.
by porter57 on August 06, 2006 08:58 AM
ive had good and bad luck with dutch gardens.
while their refunds are good,ive gotten some bad plants from them and will not order from them again. the glad bulbs i originally ordered from a fund raiser were the biggest i have seen.
unfortunately ,i havent been pleased with many things i have ordered since. hardy glads ..a bust
gienea hen bulbs ...a bust firecracker plant bulbs...a bust fushia plant... a bust gilt edge toad lily...a bust
successes
gladiolas
columbine(barely)
liatris
as you can see the track record of my experience hasnt been too good with them. their refund policy is good but who wants to go thru the hassle of planning and planting only to have poor
results after great effort.
ive resigned myself to doing the neccesary research and buying locally from now on.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: bulbs| Next thread: Bulbs »
Back to Thread index