The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Asparagus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: asiatic lilys-HELP| Next thread: asparagus »
Back to Thread index
by hdsporty97 on May 17, 2005 07:07 PM
I really want to get an asparagus patch started on my farm but don't have any idea how to go about this. I live in zone 4 so I don't even know if it's too late to even get started this year. I have an area that is on the edge of a tree strip that has tall grass and will get sun 70% of the day.
If anybody has any tips for me I would greatly appreciate it!
Amy

-
Life isn't a box of chocolates...It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today migth burn your @$$ tomorrow!
by obywan59 on May 20, 2005 09:08 AM
Try one of the all male asparagus types that don't produce seeds. You'll get thicker spears and better production. I have a patch that I started with 25 plants and it has already produced 17+ pounds in a only a little over 3 weeks.

Last year I also planted some of the new Purple Passion asparagus. It's not all male, but it's supposed to be sweeter and more tender than the regular green asparagus.

They recommend digging a trench about 8 inches deep to plant it in. Till the soil up first and then rake it out to make the trench. It's important to get rid of perennial weeds before you plant, so if the ground hasn't been prepared yet, it might be best to wait till next year. I was planning on starting a new strawberry bed this year, till I read you should have the bed prepared ahead of time, so now I'm going to till up the area for the bed and keep it clean through the summer and then plant it next year.

When planting asparagus in the trench, spread out the roots, and fill the soil about halfway up the trench and then fill in gradually as the plants grow till it's back at ground level.

It's also good to supplement the soil with manure or compost. I think I added rock phosphate and greensand and tilled them in before I planted my all-male asparagus.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Francine on May 20, 2005 04:47 PM
hey Sporty,

sorry,i don t have any answers for you as i too am learning about how to do asparagus;.

But i want to tell you i like the bike,my hubby works in a bike shop and does bike shows all over,and your little phrase at bottom is super.

good luck with your asparagus

http://photobucket.com/albums/d23/fv1962/
by NearWater on May 21, 2005 06:04 AM
I researched the topic over the winter (then decided to wait until next spring) so I have a pair of links I can share.

The first uses Oby's method, the other says you can start eating a year earlier.

from Michigan State University

from Ohio State University
by hdsporty97 on May 23, 2005 10:57 PM
Thanks for the advice. I haven't been able to get back for a few days. I might be too late this year but if I can get the ground prepared, it might be worth it to try at least a few. I though about going out to my wild patches and digging a few up to transplant. It might be tough to find any at a nursery this late. It's always worth a shot. I have a couple wild patches that my mom and I love going hunting at and we have a great time. We look forward to it every year. My little patch will be for me when I want a few spears for supper (when the hub isn't around--he can't stand the smell!). I always look forward to going out to the wild patch with my mom. We had a HUGE haul yesterday!

Thanks Francine. I love my bike but I hate the excessive wind we've been having this year. I've only rode 80 miles so far [Frown] this year and it doesn't make me very happy!

-
Life isn't a box of chocolates...It's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today migth burn your @$$ tomorrow!
by Amigatec on May 24, 2005 04:38 AM
If you dig up the wild asparagus we will probaly kill it. Asparagus has a large root system, the roots can be 10 feet long, by digging it up you will cut the roots and it will probaly die when you transplant it.

I started an asparagus bed this year with 2 year old crowns, so far most of it has come up.

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: asiatic lilys-HELP| Next thread: asparagus »
Back to Thread index