The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I have unhappy Fuscia's.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: I have to transplant my fittonia| Next thread: I just »
Back to Thread index
by murphyette on July 22, 2006 12:59 AM
Maybe they are just a crummy variety? One gets a bit og sun in the morning, but not much, maybe an hour or two? The other two get a little more sun in the late afternoon. They are really small. Planted in coconut baskets. I pick the dead blooms off daily, but they just don't seem to grow at all. Should I bother overwintering them and try again next year, or just let them go and try a better quality plant next year? I bought them at Walmart.

Jody
by melcon6 on July 22, 2006 01:11 AM
Have you put any fertilizer to them??? They are so heavily fertilized when they are greenhouse-raised that you really have to keep it up once you get them home. What variety is it? Is there a tag??

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by murphyette on July 22, 2006 04:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by melcon6:
Have you put any fertilizer to them??? They are so heavily fertilized when they are greenhouse-raised that you really have to keep it up once you get them home. What variety is it? Is there a tag??
There is a tag, but ti is useless. No info at all except that it is a Fuschia. I have fertalized them quite a few times now. Maybe they just aren't getting enough sun? Would they do better hanging under a tree, maybe?

Jody
by alankhart on July 22, 2006 10:32 AM
Fuschias prefer a little morning sun and shade in the afternoon. There are 2 types: an upright grower, which looks best in containers or in the landscape, and a trailing type, which looks best in hanging baskets. The plants you bought may not have been well cared for or simply poor quality. They don't over winter well, so I'd just get better ones next year. You can usually find them already in hanging baskets for not much more than what you'd pay for the plants in containers.

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: I have to transplant my fittonia| Next thread: I just »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: