The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Help Tomato Transplant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: help this hedge?!?| Next thread: Help tomatos!!! »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on May 06, 2005 01:27 PM
Well the roma tomatoes have recovered from the florescent light experiment. With a vengence actually. They have grown BIG in two days. There are about 8 plants in a folgers coffee 5lb plastic can. Some of them look like they are about to lose out to their bigger siblings. The tallest is 12" high.

I don't have anywhere prepared in the garden for them. And the only supplies I still have is about 20 lbs of potting soil and some houseplant water soluable fertilizer 8-7-6 and maybe a cup of used coffee grounds. And I'm broke so I can't buy anything.

Will I need to harden them off? Can they wait until the end of the month? Would they survive planted in the clay I have if they need to be transplanted now?

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 06, 2005 08:58 PM
Tammy,
I wouldn't rush things if you don't have to...
I have just planted my seeds for my tomato plants
and will know I will get a crop out of them......
So don't worry about them too much....

I've had tomato plants have tomatoes on the plant while still in the tiny containers...
They're a dilagent plant...*almost weed like*

Yes, you will need to harden them off..
Both for day temps... and direct sunlight...
and night temps...
(especially if you've started them indoors)

A well prepared area is worth it's weight in GOLD for a plant and it's root system and for it's
production of "fruit"

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on May 06, 2005 10:34 PM
OK Weezie thankyou,

How much compost should I add to the clay like soil? to prepare it for the roma tomatoes. They seem to be doing great on the miracle gro house plant food lol. that's an 8-7-6.

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 07, 2005 12:20 AM
You can never add toooooooooooo much compost
to clay...
As much as you can spare..

And remember to plant that plant,
deeper than it's planted now...

Where are you planting the plant?

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on May 07, 2005 01:53 AM
Well I'm thinking about half way up the incline on the other side of the garden from the flowers and the center piece where the dwarf evergreens are. But I'm not really very sure. According to the landlord someone will steal the "fruit" before it ripens so maybe I could invest in another couple of large pots? But I'm out of window space. I don't know what to do.

-
 -
by JV on May 07, 2005 03:40 AM
[wayey] Tammy do you have access to clean 5 gal. plastic buckets? A lot of doughnut shops and resturants just throw them away if so I use a lot of them with good results. Also on the clay if you live near a stream or river get some of the sand from the banks and mix with dry grass or leaves to help loosen the clay. We used that in New Mexico where soil was real heavy red clay worked real good.Will grow anything.
[Wink]

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by tkhooper on May 07, 2005 06:01 AM
thanks for the info Jimmy. I'm sure there is a stream around here somewhere.

-
 -
by obywan59 on May 07, 2005 10:20 AM
Tammy, when you do plant them outside, pinch off some of the lower leaves and plant so that only the top cluster of leaves are above ground. You can either plant straight down, or bury the plant in a trench horizontally, carefully bending the tip of the plant upwards. Roots will form all along the stem. This will give you a much more extensive root system and a sturdier plant.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tkhooper on May 07, 2005 02:16 PM
I slept on it last night and this is what I came up with. I have a 17" across pot that holds about 30 lbs of potting soil will that do for these tomatoes? If so would they mind sharing space with some chives and green onions?

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 07, 2005 03:52 PM
Well I moved them, whew what a job. That pot is heavy lol. The roots were intermingled so I hope I didn't do to much damage getting them separated. Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed. [perplexed]

I could only comfortable fit 9 of the twelve in there and there was no room leftover for the onions and chives.

2 tomato plants I left in the folgers can. They were smaller. And one lost its roots so it's a goner. I put the planter on one of the dinningroom chairs and placed it infront of the window so it would get sun. If I do that 2 times more I'll be sitting on the floor lol.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: help this hedge?!?| Next thread: Help tomatos!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: