The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Harvested some of the green onions

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by tkhooper on April 30, 2005 01:27 PM
I have to say that the wild onions taste much better than store bought or packaged seeds to me. I made Pork Chops Dianne last night with the ones that I had picked. It was great, glad Weezie helped me identify them. When I was cleaning them I noticed something strange, at least to me. The bulb part of the onions were producing more bulbs. Do the ones you get in seed packages do this too if they get big enough?

-
 -
by Longy on May 01, 2005 10:50 AM
Hey TK. I dunno if store bought wild onions produce little jiggers like that but i'd suggest you take them, dry them out and store 'em in a dry cool place till next season and plant them out. I reckon they'll grow again when the soil warms.
by tkhooper on May 01, 2005 03:46 PM
Thanks Longy,

I have plenty of them and leave a few of each clump in place so that I don't run out. They do fine year round in the ground. I just thought if someone wanted to put them out in their garden I would try to collect them for that.

-
 -
by PAR_Gardener on May 02, 2005 06:02 PM
The green onions in my yard propagate in two ways:
1. As TK mentioned, the bulbs divide over the winter. They get nice and fat over the summer, and in the spring 2-4 green onions sprout from the 1 bulb.
2. Depending on the variety, they will either flower and set seed or produce a scape with little bulb-letts once it gets hot.

We had a week of 70s and 80 in April, and my green onions are already producing the scapes. The scapes are woody, so they are past their prime, but I can plant the bulb-letts for a summer/fall crop.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by QuincyKel on May 04, 2005 03:21 AM
hey TK,
exactly what do those onions look like? I have seen those things for years and thought of them as a nuiscense (sp). They always pop up every spring at my parents house around theor pool landscaping. If they are the same, and you say that you can EAT THEM, you have made my day! [thumb]
by tkhooper on May 04, 2005 04:44 AM
Well as Weezie said the easiest way to identify them is by smell. lol

They are alittle more blue green than the ones in the grocery store when they get really tall. Other wise they look like a chive on the stock. Alittle more waxy before they are picked than papery. But I have noticed that in the crisper for a few days and the leaves do turn papery.

The white part that is below ground is a bulb shape. The smaller the rounder. It slims down the taller they get. The roots look just like in the store bought ones.

I hope this helps. The smell was more pronounced once I brought them in the house. But I am a smoker so that might have had something to do with it.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on May 04, 2005 04:51 AM
Our favorite is scrambled eggs w/wild onions...UMMM....UMMMM....YUMMY!!! [thumb]

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by obywan59 on May 04, 2005 07:37 AM
I tried wild onions for the first time just a couple of weeks ago. (In fried potatoes) They were really good!

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tkhooper on May 09, 2005 12:12 PM
I also sliced them up and put them in my top ramen. I'm eating a lot of that since I bought the shelf. [Roll Eyes] (see crafts decorating question.)

I love the idea of home fries and scrambled eggs with wild onion.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: