The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Just got more seeds..

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Just for Sarah!| Next thread: Just got my first Durch iris.... »
Back to Thread index
by Meg on April 29, 2005 11:04 PM
Ok, so I'm soooo bad. I am not going to be planting every seed from every packet, cuz, that would just be insane. I don't have but one section of yard dug up & ready to plant in. But.. I decided I wanted to try growing lettuce. I got a seed packet, black seeded simpson. Never heard of it.. I used to be an iceburg lettuce girl, and lately, I like the romaine. Of course, I've never grown any kind of veggie before, so that doesn't matter. I just mean, I've not heard of this kind of lettuce. Is it good? I didn't see any romaine lettuce seeds, and I didn't want iceburg..so this is what I got.

Hmmm.. gonna put it out now, while it's just starting to rain, and it's a bit chilly. I hope that when the weather warms back up a bit, that it doesn't kill it off. [Roll Eyes]

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by Katb on April 29, 2005 11:55 PM
Thats a very good lettuce I love salad bowl its has a lot of varity in one pack its very good. [kitty]
quote:
Originally posted by Meg:
Ok, so I'm soooo bad. I am not going to be planting every seed from every packet, cuz, that would just be insane. I don't have but one section of yard dug up & ready to plant in. But.. I decided I wanted to try growing lettuce. I got a seed packet, black seeded simpson. Never heard of it.. I used to be an iceburg lettuce girl, and lately, I like the romaine. Of course, I've never grown any kind of veggie before, so that doesn't matter. I just mean, I've not heard of this kind of lettuce. Is it good? I didn't see any romaine lettuce seeds, and I didn't want iceburg..so this is what I got.

Hmmm.. gonna put it out now, while it's just starting to rain, and it's a bit chilly. I hope that when the weather warms back up a bit, that it doesn't kill it off. [Roll Eyes]

Meg

by Meg on April 30, 2005 01:19 AM
Hey Katb,

Thanks for the assurance that it's good. This is my first time trying to veggie garden, and gosh, I hope I'm not in over my head.

I see you're in WV.. so am I. What area? I'm in the eastern panhandle, right where MD, VA, and WV come together. Here, I'm in zone 6, but really close to zone 7.

Meg

-
 -

by tkhooper on April 30, 2005 01:23 PM
I am going to cross my fingers for you. I tried growing it indoors but the little seedlings poofed on me. I am going to save the rest for after I turn on the air conditioning. This apartment just gets to hot. And if that doesn't work I'm going to try it in winter. And if that doesn't work I'm going to try something else. I love lettuce. And weezie told me that she really likes that brand of lettuce. I got something called butterhead. If I get it to grow I'll tell you how it tastes. I like romaine better than iceberg too.

-
 -
by weezie13 on May 05, 2005 03:03 AM
That is one of my favorite kinds..
Very tasty, good solid leaf and texture..
*I used to eat ice berg, but it's too watery
and no roughage..*

I love it on sandwiches with fresh tomatoes and cucumbers and Hellman's Mayo!!!

And I love to eat it with vinegar *and ours is kept and aged a long time so it's really vinegary*
and then I like sea salt on it..*it's the bigger hunks of salt* Kinda tasty if I do say so myself.
YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM~
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Jiffymouse on May 05, 2005 04:08 AM
"bring out the hellman's and bring out the best!"

weezie, i had cucumber and tomato sandwiches and chicken wraps from an organic deli last night [Smile]
by Meg on May 05, 2005 04:35 AM
Mmmm.. ya'll are makin me hungry! [Wink] [Big Grin]

Hey, to top off my seeds of recent buying with no room to plant...

I ordered burpless cucumbers, danvers carrots, and brandywine tomatoes. I must be [nutz] or something. [perplexed]

I am finally starting to plant stuff. A little at a time. My broccoli's been doing ok outside, and when I got my carrot seeds in the mail today, I read they like to be grown a little cooler.. so I put them right out. I also got one of my barrels readied, and have potatoes in. I'll do the other barrel, maybe tomorrow. Still need to drill another drainage hole or 2. And of course, I put out some lettuce seeds a few days ago. No signs of anything from that yet, but hopefully, soon.

Meg

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Just for Sarah!| Next thread: Just got my first Durch iris.... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: